Bio Energy Services Leader
CO-Denver, KS-Overland Park, MI-Ann Arbor, NC-Cary
Date published: 28-Nov-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: PMT
Lead the growth of Global Bioenergy Services and develop the strategies, Execution Plan, and resources to make Black & Veatch a leader in the industry by 2020 in this area. Utilize and improve upon existing processes, procedures and tools to be able to work across all markets (Power, Oil & Gas, and Water).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Grow the associated volume of earned and sold PGM by 15% plus year on year
• Lead growth of Bioenergy consulting practice with intent to pull-through engineering design assignments
• Support growth of Bioenergy EPC projects in Power, Oil & Gas, and Water
• Lead global bioenergy services for B&V Power Generation Services
• Develop and grow B&V service offerings in the production of biopower, pellets, biogas (including RNG), and bioliquids to targeted clients in the Power, Oil & Gas, and Water markets
• Seek opportunities in adjacent markets with sustainable energy objectives.
• Create a competitive advantage on ONE Black & Veatch pursuits and projects
• Achieve 30% pursuit win rate to achieve PGM goals and stay below Business Development budget.
• Deliver PGM earned equal to or greater than as sold PGM
• Develop additional workforce capability and capacity
Duties and Accountabilities
• Identify market opportunities for bioenergy solutions through regulatory actions, vendor and partner relationships and industry intelligence.
• Lead the development of strategic bioenergy solutions for all markets.
• Refine and communicate go-to-market strategies.
• Lead the development of Bioenergy Services Business Plan.
• Prioritize pursuits and participate in go/no-go decision process.
• Strengthen internal and external brand of Black & Veatch Bioenergy Services.
• Develop, monitor and manage to budget.
• Create organizational structure for Bioenergy Services in Power Generation Services and recruit/develop resources to meet needs.
• Work with Power, Oil & Gas, Water, Management Consulting, Global Regions, Legal and Finance to develop competitive commercial bioenergy offerings to the market.
• Develop and maintain business relationships with targeted clients, technology providers, business partners, and competitors.
• Identify and participate in Business Excellence projects that grow the Bioenergy services area.
• Deliver expected volume of New Business PGM and Earned PGM from awarded project portfolio.
• Work with the business lines to assign key staff to services projects and pursuits.
Develop or review key pursuit strategy for alignment with business plan.
• Serve as Bioenergy Services Champion in presentations to internal governance groups.
• Advance the development of Bioenergy Services professionals and develop a succession plan for group including alignment of offerings and communities of practice.
Bachelor of science degree. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Demonstrated technical acumen in thermo-chemical, mechanical, and biological conversion of biomass feedstocks into high value end products for the power and transportation industries. At least 15 years of experience in bioenergy engineering assignments.
• Demonstrated experience in project execution: Managing change and risks on scope, cost, schedule, quality, and safety based on available resources and client requirements. Managing constructability and procurement.
• Demonstrated leadership experience with the ability to communicate clear expectations, goals, and vision. The ability to manage performance of direct reports and motivate, coach and mentor professionals, delegate project work, practices behaviors supporting diversity and inclusion, effectively manage conflict and collaborate in a team environment to achieve results.
• Demonstrated business development skills with the ability to identify client requirements, develop and maintain relationships with clients, conduct market research, and write/present project estimates and proposals including scope, cost, and schedule according to client requirements and bid processes.
• Strong business acumen: Negotiating contract commercial terms. Managing project budgets, costs, and receivables. Managing contracts and legal issues. Analyzing and reporting business health metrics as a basis for improvement. Applying knowledge of policies and regulations to project scope. Building relationships with key stakeholders. Applies value creation.
• Other preferred candidate characteristics: Professional communication skills, the ability to build networks, strong client focus, drive for talent development, strong leadership skills with a drive for results, strategic vision, financial acumen, conflict management, tech savvy, values diversity.