Date published: 18-Nov-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Management Consulting
Business Plan: CST
The role of the Business Architect is to provide a bridge between an enterprise’s business strategy and the day-to-day tactics and operations. The key to the role is providing a common understanding of the business strategy, designing competitive processes and systems to support that strategy, understanding and leveraging existing capabilities, and identifying areas of investment to advance objectives or drive innovation.
Business Architects will be primarily client-facing leading early stage work to define business problems and craft solutions. As work moves beyond problem definition and solutioning, the Business Architect will continue to provide vision and guidance throughout the implementation of business solutions. Within Black & Veatch Management Consulting (BVMC), the Business Architect will participate in practice development and the pursuit of new business; often representing BVMC as the expert in a certain area. The Business Architect is expected to remain current on market trends and the relevant players.
Business Architects will concentrate on two or more of the following BVMC focus areas:
• Capital investment and Prioritization
• Asset and Outage Management
• Digital Transformation
• IT / OT Convergence
• Grid Modernization
• Renewables / Distributed Energy
• Customer and Sustainability Programs
• Water Scarcity and Management
• Water – Energy Nexus
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ability support practice development in multiple BVMC focus areas
• Understand the vendor landscape
• Help craft go-to-market strategies
• Understand and document industry best practices
• Have an informed opinion on where the market is headed
• Develop a business architecture strategy for Black & Veatch clients based on a situational awareness of various business scenarios and motivations.
• Apply a structured business architecture approach and methodology for capturing the key views of the enterprise.
• Capture the tactical and strategic enterprise goals that provide traceability through the organization and are mapped to metrics that provide ongoing governance.
• Define the set of strategic, core and support processes that transcend functional and organizational boundaries
• Define the data shared across the enterprise and the relationships between those data.
• Develop a broad, enterprise-wide view of the client’s business and strategy, processes and capabilities, enabling technologies, and governance
• Recognize structural issues within the organization, functional interdependencies and cross-silo redundancies
• Team player able to work effectively at all levels of an organization with the ability to influence others to move toward consensus
• Exceptional communication skills and the ability to communicate appropriately at all levels of the organization; this includes written and verbal communications as well as visualizations
• Strong situational analysis and decision-making abilities
• The ability to assimilate and correlate disconnected documentation and drawings, and articulate their collective relevance to the organization and to high-priority business issues
• The ability to visualize and create high-level models that can be used in future analysis to extend and mature the business architecture
• May supervise work of other professional or project-based teams
Location: Virtual with the ability to commit to 80% travel
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 10 years of experience in a business and/or consulting environment
• 5 experience leading projects in the at least two of the BVMC focus areas outlined above
• 5 years of experience using model-based representations that can be adjusted as required to collect, aggregate or disaggregate complex and conflicting information about the business
• 5 years of extensive experience planning and deploying business and IT initiatives
• 5 years of experience modeling business processes using a variety of tools and techniques
• All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Math or Engineering
• Master's degree
• 2 years of Business Development experience
• Advanced Business Architecture skills
• Project management skills.
• Business development capability.
• Business and consulting management skills.
• Advanced knowledge in all aspects of consulting processes.
• Extensive client management and negotiation skills.
• Advanced knowledge of the marketplace.
• Advanced interpersonal skills.