Date published: 18-Nov-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch delivers design, procurement and construction solutions that help to provide safe drinking water and effective wastewater management to communities worldwide. We serve public and private clients of every size with a strong focus on life cycle economy, efficiency and reliability.<br><br>We find innovative solutions to protect water at its source, treat it to the highest standards, and deliver it to homes and businesses. Then we collect and treat wastewater before reintroducing it safely back into the environment.
Black & Veatch is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to join a well-established water/wastewater team in our Irvine area office. The Engineering Manager is responsible for the technical planning and design on a wide array of municipal/public water and wastewater treatment facilities, pumping stations, and conveyance systems. The ideal candidate will assume leadership responsibilities such as development and execution of project scope, budget and schedule; serve as responsible charge on projects; mentor staff and identify developmental growth opportunities; develop strong relationships with clients and contractors; and support business development. The duties include development of technical memoranda, technical reports, feasibility studies, preliminary engineering design documents, and final design documents which include preparation of construction plans and specifications. The Engineering Manager will typically lead and coordinate multi-discipline project teams across multiple offices. The Engineering Manager also supports Bid and Construction phase services, including evaluation of construction bids, responding to contractor Requests for Information (RFIs), reviewing submittals, making site visits and inspections, and evaluating construction change documents.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead preparation of complex engineering project documents, client presentations, client contact and communication pertaining to specific project deliverables.
• Lead multi-discipline project teams to achieve project delivery in a timely manner with a focus on quality while exceeding client expectations.
• Support Project Managers in execution of project scope, schedule, and budget.
• Leverage professional networking skills to help identify and pursue project opportunities.
• Perform complex detailed design engineering calculations.
• Apply standard design principles and concepts and ensure all design products are in compliance with applicable engineering codes and Black & Veatch policies and procedures.
• Attend and assist in, or lead, client, contractor, stakeholder, and regulatory agency meetings to gain a better understanding of client’s goals, site assessments, and vendor/equipment supplier contacts and coordination.
• Provide creativity and ideas for marketing and pursuit opportunities.
• Occasional travel as required for execution of the work.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 8 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering
• A minimum of 8 years professional experience, including managing and leading teams to deliver water and wastewater facility design projects
• California PE
• Previous consulting experience
• Proficient with computer software, including MS Office Suite and Project Software, Civil 3D and MicroStation
• Experience preparing bids and proposals, producing design drawings, prepare technical specifications, and providing engineering services supporting bid and construction phases
When you join Black & Veatch as a full-time professional, we offer a broad package of healthcare options, including medical, dental, vision, global and business travel. We offer generous vacation time and paid holidays.
On the financial side, Black & Veatch is an employee-owned company. This means our professionals can acquire shares of company stock via a company-matched 401K plan and through the annual discretionary retirement contribution program.
In addition, we have a robust tuition reimbursement program designed to broaden your education, vendor discounts and the B&V Credit Union, where low-interest loans can be conveniently deducted from your paycheck. We offer flexible work schedules, both short- and long-term disability insurance, and an outstanding retirement program. Other key benefits include a wellness program and adoption reimbursement.