OSP Engineering Manager
Date published: 5-Jul-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENS
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
The OSP Engineering Manager is directly responsible for day to day management and oversight of the OSP fiber design team’s production while assisting and performing in all aspects of the OSP fiber design. Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role. Independently develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems. Provide technical and execution guidance over OSP Engineering staff and contract personnel on projects of varying complexity. May be responsible for developing, validating, and presenting specialist/technical output.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
•Telecommunications professional will provide engineering management of OSP FTTx fiber design team in the local market for distribution and feeder cable to commercial and residential customers. Is responsible for one or more of the following: leading larger production teams; coordinating multiple discipline activity; and serving as the responsible charge for a project.
• Keep the Engineering Program Manager and Project Management staff advised of the progress of the work and any developments involving change in the scope of the contract work or otherwise which could affect the contract requirements and fee and/or Client relationships.
• Assure designs meet client design guidelines. Review the Client’s requirements and success parameters and verify that the Client’s concerns are addressed. Check for impact on schedules, budget, and construction cost, and advise the staff of any needed changes.
• Attend Client Kick-Off meetings and follow up calls.
•Oversee and perform OSP/ISP fiber designs and provide design guidance and direction to team.
• Engineering Standards: Provides guidance and direction on department design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies. Provides technical guidance to others regarding projects and disciplines.
• Engineering Production: Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables for larger or multiple projects. Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection. Oversees collection, assimilation, and management of data for OSP engineering work. Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles. Manages assigned budget, schedule, and quality requirements. Reviews lower level engineering work or assignments.
• Project Coordination: Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on moderately complex projects.
• Client Focus: Responsible for assisting with identification of key client interests and drivers on moderately complex projects and may determine the key clients in some instances. Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work on moderately complex projects. Typically provides support to business development.
• Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology: Serves as an OSP technical specialist and has knowledge and skill set to provide consultation and guidance to project teams in the OSP area. Typically supports multiple projects on the complex technical challenges. Actively fosters knowledge management and provides mentoring.
• People Management: Typically assists with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required. May participate in career planning, learning and development.
• Resource Management - (budgets, tools, processes, project support): Implements resource management strategy. Assists in review and selection of new staff. Manages engineering resources for groups of a single discipline.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Typically, a minimum of 7 years related work experience.
• Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
• Deep understanding of FTTH related: technology, architecture, design, planning, and engineering aspects. Must have a very sound understanding of GIS-based modeling and be familiar with industry tools.
• Ideal candidates will be experienced in OSP design of fiber optic facilities, in aerial, underground and direct-buried applications.
• Ideal candidates will have a strong understanding of OSP codes, standards, best-practices and construction methods
• Familiarity with optical fiber, splicing, termination and testing, and construction related activities
• Technical knowledge and understanding of right of way and easements and joint pole agreements.
• Ability to design, develop permit drawings, create construction drawings and manage the overall process (GIS, Fiber or Copper Design, Right of Way (R/W) plans, CDs & as-builts).
• Knowledge/experience with project management tools and Web Applications.
• Prior Management / Supervisory responsibilities
• Strong interpersonal, analytical and communication skills. Flexible and able to think quickly working to resolve design issues and makes decisions.
• Excellent communications skills, strong organizational skills, a high level of integrity, a strong team player, and attention to details are all critical traits of successful B&V Engineers.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Written Communications • Drive For Results • Decision Quality • Priority Setting • Planning • Delegation • Directing Others • Conflict Management • Informing • Listening • Dealing with Ambiguity • Customer Focus • Building Effective Teams • Supervisor Competencies
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Advanced knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
• Advanced knowledge of other disciplines
• Advanced ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned
• Intermediate industry knowledge and technology trends
• Intermediate knowledge of company quality program
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Intermediate knowledge of procurement & contract administration
• Working knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Advanced knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
• Intermediate business & financial acumen
• Intermediate knowledge of company/division/HR programs, policies, procedures, and organization structure
• Intermediate knowledge of management techniques & administrative practices