ROW Permitting Specialist
Date published: 11-Oct-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ADM
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Implements Right of Way (ROW) processes for fiber, utility, energy, pipeline and utility pole attachment (aerial or underground) projects. Processes include permit research and applications for various governmental and quasi-governmental bodies. Proficient at preparation of candidate information reports related to leasing and/or easements, permitting and land use viability. Identify potential risk scenarios. Monitors progress of the application and facilitates jurisdictional requests for additional information as a result of the application review process. Ensures compliance to the quality and safety goals and objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serves as Permitting Specialist or Lead for a particular site project (typically complex in scope) including permitting and land use processing (if applicable)
• Receives updates from other ROW Permitting Specialists, Site Acquisition Specialists (SAS) and Associates (SAA) and reports information to ROW or Site Acquisition Manager. This may include facilitating deployment meetings
• Providing daily status updates to ROW or Site Acquisition Manager regarding permitting status • Provides status reports to Clients and serves as project lead, as required, during client meetings
• Assists ROW or Site Acquisition Manager with training of ROW Permitting Specialists, Site Acquisition Specialists and Associates
• Supervises and directs the work of consultants and subcontractors.
• Supervises activities of team members and other departments, as needed.
• Provides site sketches, as needed.
• Attends field site visits for candidate and engineering viability
• Determination of jurisdictional requirements for permitting submissions, as needed
• Preparation of and submittal of Permitting applications as it relates to linear projects such as fiber, water pipelines, transmission/distribution lines or oil and gas pipelines.
• QC review of permitting drawings to ensure they meet jurisdictional requirements and/or address permit comments received
• Tracking approval of permitting applications
• Coordination with Permitting Agencies and Engineering to review, analyze and address any permit comments received
• May attend community meetings, as needed/required by Jurisdiction
• Processing check requests for permitting application fees
• Scanning/Uploading permit documentation into project system
• Analyzes GIS data to create and/or maintain permit polygons based on jurisdictional boundaries
• In-person permit submittals to Jurisdictions In-person pickup of permit approvals from Jurisdictions
• Coordinate with client and engineering departments to obtain information necessary for entitlement applications (i.e., specific jurisdictional requirements such as: existing utility data; plat data needed to define right of way boundaries, parcel data needed to define parcel boundaries and any other requirements to be included in the permit drawings as outlined by jurisdictional ordinance or permit application submittal requirements). •Negotiation of Easements and/or Right of Entry. Negotiation of settlement of damages, as applicable.
• Reviews and approves site specific documents for quality and completeness
• As necessary, reviews work of ROW Specialists, SAA or SAS prior to submittal for quality and completeness
• Maintains a high degree of customer service and integrity when dealing with clients
• Other duties or special projects, as assigned.
• Depending on the project, may act in the capacity of a "lead person". Does not have management responsibility for the people to whom they provide work direction. List supervised positions: Site Acquisition Associate and Specialist (ADM Level 1-3)
Requires 4 year degree, or equivalent work experience. Minimum of 3 years permitting experience (permitting fiber or other linear projects within right-of-way of a metropolitan market a plus). Experience reviewing underground and aerial utility drawings.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Prefer proficiency in GIS.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Ability to work independently as well as with others
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Knowledge of all aspects of right-of-way, including acquisition, title, permitting, budgeting, cost forecasting, operation, due diligence, public relations, community outreach and solid understanding of general regulatory and legal issues.
• Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively
• Ability to read and comprehend legal documents such as legal descriptions, surveys, easements, deeds, title policies, and technical drawings
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, and Outlook
• Supports and complies with the Division’s Quality Management System and Environmental, Safety, Health and Security Program
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Action Oriented
• Attention to Detail and Quality
• Interpersonal Savvy
• Learning on the Fly
• Problem Solving
• Customer Focus
• Priority Setting