Civil Engineering Technician - Power Delivery
Date published: 5-Jul-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENT
Black & Veatch provides engineering, technology, consulting, and construction solutions that span the life cycle of projects in the power generation, power delivery and hydrocarbon process industries. Our services encompass planning, design, procurement, construction, startup, optimization and maintenance.
Under general supervision, performs basic functions requiring technical knowledge utilizing electronic applications, processes, standards and document control processes/procedures for the purpose of creating or modifying deliverables. Evaluates methods used to accomplish the drafting and/or design activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Continually learn and apply standards, systems, document control, departmental guides and B&V policies/procedures while supporting B&V clients in the Power Delivery industry with a focus on civil engineering.
• Ensure deliverables are accurate and compliant by continually developing knowledge of the B&V Quality Program and by correctly implementing client drafting & design standards with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrate personal accuracy and support Continuous Improvement and Change Management efforts.
• Assist the production of Civil Engineering drawings including site layout plans, grading plans, erosion & sediment control plans, stormwater management plans, and foundation & structural plans.
• Support in preparing Bill of Materials.
• Ability to broaden knowledge of the applications required to modify and develop less complex deliverables based on a variety of design inputs.
• May assist with minor computations such as material quantity estimates and dimensional checks. Additionally, this may require assistance in coordinating deliverables with other groups involved on the same project to minimize interference or errors.
• Focus on the needs of internal clients while attempting to gain basic understanding of external client's main interests and drivers.
• Proactively participate in knowledge sharing and innovation & technology while continually seeking and sharing knowledge of the latest technologies and processes.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Experience with earthwork balancing and quantity takeoffs for construction/bidding documents.
• Experience calculating stormwater runoff volumes and rates and sizing drainage systems (pipes, swales, ponds, etc.).
• Experience selecting, designing, and/or specifying stormwater and erosion control BMPs.
• Experience with AutoTURN software for access road and site layout design.
• Experience with Electrical Substation Foundation and Structure drawings.
• Experience with Steel Fabrication drawings