Condition Assessment Engineer - Water Business
Date published: 9-Aug-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch is a leader in condition assessment and asset management activities, offering expertise across linear and vertical facilities for both water and wastewater infrastructure. Working collaboratively, our team has worked with all major assessment technologies and has developed cutting edge tools to prioritize, manage, and leverage inspection efforts to provide real value for our clients. From practical application of inspection tools to customized condition information management systems with cloud based data acquisition, Black & Veatch has the resources and capabilities to provide leading solutions for repair, replacement or rehabilitation of infrastructure. Together our condition assessment team and supporting groups distinguish Black & Veatch from other engineering firms.
Black & Veatch has an exciting opportunity open to Engineers interested in Condition Assessment of aging buried infrastructure. As an employee-owned, global leader in building critical infrastructure in the water, energy, telecommunications and government services markets, Black & Veatch has a long-standing reputation for providing world-class service to our clients.
Within our Condition Assessment business, we have seen consistent growth driven by our clients’ needs to address aging infrastructure challenges. A major issue is the need to better understand asset conditions by employing the right techniques and technology during field inspections. The role of this position focuses on providing project support to our clients in the areas of performing condition assessments of their facilities to provide solutions to rehabilitate existing infrastructure. This position is part of a broader initiative at Black & Veatch aimed towards assisting our clients with extending the service life of their infrastructure.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide assessment of conditions in the field affecting water and wastewater infrastructure.
• Provide input on condition assessment data interpretation including ability to clearly-communicate observations and produce results in a professional quality report document
• Has familiarity with current and future condition assessment technology trends and adoption
• Assist in the development of rehabilitation designs
• Desires working on field work assignments involving logistical challenges
• Coordinates closely with associated Asset Management, Design and Safety teams.
• Understands available pipeline inspection techniques and rehabilitation options.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 3 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Bachelors Degree in Civil, Environmental, or Mechanical Engineering
• 2-4 years of buried infrastructure design experience
• Staff engineer with knowledge of condition assessment of water and wastewater facilities, in areas such as: field inspections, inspection technologies, interpretation of field data, and rehabilitation/replacement recommendations and technologies.
• Knowledge of pipeline design
• Awareness of internal and external condition assessment technologies and non-destructive testing techniques.
o Example linear assessment technologies include: CCTV; Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs); laser and sonar scanning
o Knowledge of non-destructive testing techniques (ultrasonic thickness, electromagnetic, surface penetrating radar, etc.) for piping systems and structural facilities.
• Field experience in field inspection planning and field work data collect a plus.
• Maintains a high regard for overall field work safety.
• Working towards obtaining Professional Engineering License
• Experience with ESRI ArcGIS software
• Experience with water and wastewater treatment plant facility design basics
• Ability to perform hands-on field work to make observations and collect data
• Familiarity with asset management principles including risk based prioritization
• Knowledge of types of pipe rehabilitation methods