Electrical Engineer 2 - Substation Design
Date published: 28-Sep-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch provides engineering, technology, consulting and construction solutions that span the life cycle of projects in the power generation, power delivery and hydrocarbon process industries. Our services encompass planning, design, procurement, construction, startup, optimization and maintenance.
Under close supervision, performs engineering functions requiring knowledge and experience in engineering principles. This level builds on experience gained as Engineer1 by either obtaining more depth in specific subject area with the expectation that assignments are larger and more complex, or by gaining experience in more subject areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepares less complex engineering deliverables for substation projects.
• Performs research and develops recommendations for substation equipment and/or materials selection.
• Collects, assimilates, and manages data for engineering work.
• Prepares engineering calculations following standard methods and principles.
• Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements
• Learn and remain current on client/department design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies.
Quality / Continuous Improvement:
• Develops knowledge and complies with B&V quality program relative to assigned tasks.
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
• Coordinates with others as assigned by supervisor or project leadership.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 1 year work experience in Substation Design.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Basic knowledge of substation high voltage protection design or physical (outdoor) design: one lines, schematics, wiring diagrams, substation arrangement, electrical clearances, rigid bus design, raceway, lightning protection, grounding analysis/design and similar areas.