Electrical Engineer 2 - Substation Design
Date published: 8-Oct-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
A Black & Veatch substation engineer works on diverse and challenging projects from greenfield installations to retrofits. Our substation engineers are given the responsibility for engineering design, material, equipment, and construction specification development for high voltage substation projects. The assignments are varied and will include engineering only, construction support, and Engineering-Procurement-Construction (EPC) projects.
This position offers the opportunity to build upon prior experience and gain more depth in a specific area. You will also be given the opportunity to develop additional areas of interest.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepares less complex engineering deliverables for substation projects.
• Performs research and develops recommendations for substation equipment and/or materials selection.
• Collects, assimilates, and manages data for engineering work.
• Prepares engineering calculations following standard methods and principles.
• Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements
• Learn and remain current on client/department design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies.
Quality / Continuous Improvement:
• Develops knowledge and complies with B&V quality program relative to assigned tasks.
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
• Coordinates with others as assigned by supervisor or project leadership.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 1 year related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Basic knowledge of substation high voltage protection design or physical (outdoor) design: one lines, schematics, wiring diagrams, substation arrangement, electrical clearances, rigid bus design, raceway, lightning protection, grounding analysis/design and similar areas.