Electrical Engineer 3
Date published: 28-Sep-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch delivers design, procurement and construction solutions that help to provide safe drinking water and effective wastewater management to communities worldwide. We serve public and private clients of every size with a strong focus on life cycle economy, efficiency and reliability. We find innovative solutions to protect water at its source, treat it to the highest standards, and deliver it to homes and businesses. Then we collect and treat wastewater before reintroducing it safely back into the environment.
Functions in a mid level engineer capacity, or technical specialist. Under general supervision, performs all aspects of conventional design engineering and analysis. Broadens knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May start to expand knowledge in other disciplines and/or functional areas.
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for developing electrical calculations, design drawings, specifications, cable schedule, raceway schedules and installation drawings. He/she is responsible for ensuring all project procedures are in place and are being followed within his/her discipline and area of work.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides guidance and direction on client/department design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies.
• Assists in developing, maintaining and updating engineering standards.
• Provides technical guidance to others regarding projects and disciplines.
• Quality / Continuous Improvement:
• Independently applies knowledge and complies with B&V quality program relative to assigned tasks.
• May be responsible for ensuring compliance with B&V quality program.
• Provides related guidance and direction to others.
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
• Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables for larger or multiple projects.
• Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection.
• Oversees collection, assimilation, and management of data for engineering work.
• Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles.
• Manages assigned budget, schedule, and quality requirements.
• Independently applies advanced engineering techniques and analysis problems and methods.
• Comply with Project Design Criteria, follow design procedures and best practices, comply with applicable and B&V’s standards, follow up on major design issues within discipline.
• HSEC: Ensure all applicable HSEC in design criteria are met
• Project Control System: Report progress for compliance with schedules to Electrical Discipline Lead
• Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on moderately complex projects.
• QA/QC: Arrange for quality control reviews and follow up on QC comments and complete documentation
• Internal audits: Address Corrective Action Requests within discipline
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and
• Serves as a technical specialist and has knowledge and skill set to provide consultation and guidance to project teams in a particular practice area.
• Typically supports multiple projects on the complex technical challenges.
• Actively fosters knowledge management and provides mentoring.
• Develops and applies advanced engineering concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 4 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Passed Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
• Written Communications Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
• Drive for Results
• Decision Quality
• Priority Setting
• Planning and Delegation
• Conflict Management
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Customer Focus