Electrical Engineer 4 - Power Generation
Date published: 7-Dec-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch provides engineering, technology, consulting, and construction solutions that span the life cycle of projects in the power generation, power delivery and hydrocarbon process industries. Our services encompass planning, design, procurement, construction, startup, optimization and maintenance.
Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role. With minimal supervision, applies advanced engineering techniques and analyses for problems and methods. Expands knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May start to expand knowledge in other disciplines and/or functional areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare one-line, three-line, phasing, panelboards, schematic, and wiring diagrams for project’s electric systems in accordance with company standards and client requirements.
• Perform cable sizing in accordance with codes and standards.
• Size, specify, and select project electrical equipment including but not limited to the following: batteries, battery chargers, UPS, isolated phase bus duct, cable bus, low and medium voltage switchgear, motor control centers, enclosures, and power transformers.
• Review supplier drawings for compliance with contract requirements.
• Develop auxiliary electric system control and protection schemes for auxiliary electric system.
• Perform load flow, short circuit, motor starting, arc flash, lightning protection analysis, battery and transformer sizing calculations.
• Prepare protective relay settings.
• Coordinate with other team members and or disciplines on multi discipline projects.
• May perform the role of checker on above listed drawings and or calculations prepared by lesser experienced engineers.
• Understand and adhere to schedule and budget requirements
• May be responsible for providing direction to lower level engineers and designers.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 5 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Previous power generation experience or heavy industrial power distribution design.
• Knowledge of Power system analysis software, Mathcad. Familiarity with National Electric Code, IEEE design standards and guides.
• Professional Licensure (PE) strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Natural drive for results.
• Attention to detail and quality.
• Ability to deal with Ambiguity.