Electrical Engineer 5 - Lead Substation Project Engineer - Power Delivery
Date published: 9-Jan-2019
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
Functions as an engineering lead for teams performing design of high voltage electrical substation projects for the top domestic electric utility companies. Experience producing construction documents for the physical and/or electrical (Protection & Control) aspects of substation projects including high voltage physical arrangement, microprocessor based protection and controls systems, AC and DC station, Calculations, service systems and grounding. Must have strong leadership capabilities including the ability to lead a portion of substation design or lead an entire substation project.
• The candidate will have substation design experience in transmission level voltages 69kV and above with a strong understanding of applicable industry codes and standard design practices.
• Mentors and teaches design engineers and technicians.
• Assists in the preparation of project proposals, including: engineering and construction cost estimates, the planning of project approach, conceptual design, budgeting and scheduling.
• Promotes a quality focused culture and effectively implements Black & Veatch’s thorough quality assurance program.
• Accountable for managing engineering design for substation projects, including engineering schedule and budget performance, quality of engineering solutions and deliverables, and close coordination with procurement and construction professionals.
• Develops strong relationships with and becomes a trusted partner with clients. Responsible for identifying key client interests and drivers on projects. Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate those objectives. Works to identify future client needs and how to better position B&V to best serve those needs.
• Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides guidance and direction on department design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies.
- Assists in developing, maintaining and updating engineering standards.
- Provides technical guidance to others regarding projects and disciplines.
Quality / Continuous Improvement:
- Independently applies knowledge and complies with B&V quality program relative to assigned tasks.
- May be responsible for ensuring compliance with B&V quality program.
- Provides related guidance and direction to others.
- Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
- Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables for larger or multiple projects.
- Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection.
- Oversees collection, assimilation, and management of data for engineering work.
- Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles.
- Manages assigned budget, schedule, and quality requirements.
- Independently applies advanced engineering techniques and analysis problems and methods.
- Reviews lower level engineering work or assignments.
Is responsible for one or more of the following:
- leading larger production teams; coordinating multiple discipline activity; and serving as the responsible charge for a project.
- Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on moderately complex projects.
- Responsible for assisting with identification of key client interests and drivers on moderately complex projects and may determine the key clients in some instances.
- Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work on moderately complex projects.
- May offer other services to the clients.
- Typically provides support to business development or pursuit activities.
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
- Serves as a technical specialist and has knowledge and skill set to provide consultation and guidance to project teams in a particular practice area.
- Typically supports multiple projects on the complex technical challenges.
- Actively fosters knowledge management and provides mentoring.
- Develops and applies advanced engineering concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems.
People Management - (supervision, career development, training, mentoring):
- Typically assists with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required.
- May participate in career planning, and learning and development.
Resource Management - (budgets, tools, processes, project support):
- Implements resource management strategy. Manages engineering resources for small groups of a single discipline.
- Administrative responsibilities may include office administration.
- Ensures policies, procedures, and processes are effectively implemented and communicated for work group.
- Ensures adherence to corporate and division programs.
- May approve timesheets and expense reports.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 8 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Requires a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 5 years of high voltage substation design experience showing a progressively increasing level of responsibility. Must be a licensed Professional Engineer.
Displays strengths in the areas of: Written communications, drive for results, decision quality, priority setting, planning, delegation, directing others, conflict management, informing, listening, dealing with ambiguity, customer focus, and building effective teams; Experience with EPC projects and projects at 345 kV and above is strongly desired.