Electrical Engineer - Wind
CA-Walnut Creek, CO-Denver, KS-Overland Park, MI-Ann Arbor, NC-Raleigh
Date published: 7-Apr-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
With hundreds of experienced staff, 40 years of experience, and over a thousand completed projects, Black & Veatch is a leader in the renewable energy industry. From planning and consulting through engineering and construction, we offer solutions for all major renewable energy technologies including solar photovoltaic (PV), wind, biomass, hydro, marine energy, solar thermal, and geothermal. We also help our clients plan, construct and operate supporting technologies like energy storage, grid modernization, Smart Cities, and demand response.
Support projects as a lead technical specialist, applying advanced engineering techniques and analyses for problems and methods in wind energy. Demonstrate thought leadership and expand knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May also start or expand knowledge in other disciplines, functional areas and renewable energy technologies.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Engineering Production: Functions in a lead electrical engineering (engineer of record) or consulting role on domestic and international wind energy projects, applying advanced engineering techniques and analyses to develop a variety of deliverables associated balance of plant electrical systems.
• Project Coordination: Works with others on local and geographically dispersed multi-disciplinary teams. Proactively coordinates with all other internal/external team members, and provides leadership to meet deadlines. Develops and manages budgets, schedules, and quality requirements and reviews lower level engineering work or assignments.
• Travel: The position will entail occasional travel to support field assignments, and meetings with clients including: utilities, energy project developers, financial institutions, energy end-users, investors, government agencies, and other organizations.
• Engineering Standards: Continues to learn, remains current and applies independent knowledge and interpretation about departmental design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies and procedures relative to assigned tasks.
• Quality / Continuous Improvement: Consistently and independently applies knowledge and complies with B&V quality program relative to assigned tasks. May be responsible for ensuring compliance with B&V quality program. Provides guidance and direction to others from the same project and discipline. Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts for B&V engineering standards & processes. May also start or expand knowledge in other disciplines, functional areas and renewable energy technologies.
• Client Focus: Responsible for assisting with identification of key client interests and drivers on less complex projects. Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work on less complex projects. May provide support to business development or pursuit activities.
• People Management: - (supervision, career development, training, mentoring): Typically assists with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 5 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Must be self-motivated and highly accountable with an ability to balance multiple projects while working under tight deadlines.
• Ability to solve problems creatively, be resourceful and develop innovative solutions for analysis.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and succinctly through formal reports, presentations, memoranda and email.
• A thorough understanding of onshore wind project development, general wind turbine design/function. Familiarity with regulatory, technical, and market issues relevant to individual renewable energy technology policies & programs.
• Experience with the design and familiarity with construction of wind farm electrical facilities such as underground, or overhead wind farm collection systems, SCADA network, project substations, transmission lines or interconection.
• Professional Registration as an electrical engineer.
• Competence with the NEC is required.