Electrical/ Instrument and Control Engineer 2
Date published: 7-Dec-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch provides engineering, technology, consulting, and construction solutions that span the life cycle of projects in the power generation, power delivery and hydrocarbon process industries. Our services encompass planning, design, procurement, construction, startup, optimization and maintenance.
This is a mid-level position in which the professional will perform power electrical system and or Instrumentation and Control design on new and existing power generation facilities and heavy industrial plants.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepares electrical equipment specifications for electrical equipment such as transformers, motor control centers, MV and LV Switchgear and general electrical equipment selection
• Evaluates bids submitted for compliance with specification requirements.
• Reviews drawings and supplier equipment documentation from both within the electrical engineering discipline and in coordination with other engineering disciplines for compliance with the project requirements.
• Develops single line and three-line diagrams, area classifications, power and control schematics, wiring diagrams.
• Performs special electrical system studies or analyses involving review, research calculation, and equipment selection to develop required reports.
• Prepares engineering calculations such as cable sizing, motor starting, load flow and short circuit, arc flash, equipment sizing for transformer, inverters, and batteries, lightning protection and grounding analysis, following standard methods and principles.
• Completes projects with the specified electrical deliverables such as equipment supplier bid evaluations, load lists, electrical equipment, cable and conduit schedules, generator sizing, single-line and three-line diagrams for low & medium voltage, hazardous area classification drawings and ground grid design.
• Visits project sites to gather field data in preparation of project deliverables.
• Ensures adherence to industry standards and code compliance.
• Coordinates with others within the Electrical/Control group as well as other groups or disciplines.
• Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements.
• Designs and creates logic diagrams.
• Creates operator graphic sketches, control system architecture diagrams and control narratives
• Creates and maintains instrument lists and DCS I/O lists
• Determines instruments and creates instrument installation details; adds instruments to P&IDs.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 1 year related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Learning on the Fly, Problem Solving, Intellectual Horsepower, Written Communications, Drive For Results, Decision Quality, Informing, Listening, Dealing with Ambiguity. Basic knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline