Electrical Substation Engineer - Power Delivery
Date published: 7-Jan-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch provides engineering, technology, consulting and construction solutions that span the life cycle of projects in the power generation, power delivery and hydrocarbon process industries. Our services encompass planning, design, procurement, construction, startup, optimization and maintenance.
Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role. With minimal supervision, applies advanced engineering techniques and analyses for problems and methods. Expands knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May start to expand knowledge in other departments.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Functions as a technical specialist in the physical or protection design of substations or able to lead a team performing design of high voltage electrical substation projects for the top domestic electric utility companies. Experience producing construction documents for the physical and/or electrical aspects of substation projects including high voltage physical arrangement, microprocessor based protection and controls systems, ac and dc station service systems and grounding. Must have strong leadership capabilities including the ability to lead a portion of substation design or lead an entire substation project.
• The candidate will have substation design experience in transmission level voltages 69kV and above with a strong understanding of applicable industry codes and standard design practices.
• Mentors and teaches design engineers and technicians.
• Assists in the preparation of project proposals, including: engineering and construction cost estimates, the planning of project approach, conceptual design, budgeting and scheduling.
• Promotes a quality focused culture and effectively implements Black & Veatch’s thorough quality assurance program.
• Accountable for managing engineering design for substation projects, including engineering schedule and budget performance, quality of engineering solutions and deliverables, and close coordination with procurement and construction professionals.
• Develops strong relationships with and becomes a trusted partner with clients. Responsible for identifying key client interests and drivers on projects. Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate those objectives. Works to identify future client needs and how to better position B&V to best serve those needs..
• Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience with EPC projects is desired.
• Experience in projects at 345 kV and above is desired
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 5 years work experience in Electrical Substation Design.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Displays strengths in the areas of: Written Communications, Drive for Results, Decision Quality, Priority Setting, Planning, Delegation, Directing Others, Conflict Management, Informing, Listening, Dealing with Ambiguity, Customer Focus, and Building Effective Teams.