Environmental Permitting Project Manager
FL-Orlando, KS-Overland Park, MI-Ann Arbor, TX-Houston
Date published: 29-Sep-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: PMT
Black & Veatch provides engineering, technology, consulting and construction solutions that span the life cycle of projects in the power generation, power delivery and hydrocarbon process industries. Our services encompass planning, design, procurement, construction, startup, optimization and maintenance.
Manages all aspects of small Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC)/Service projects, including risk to cost, schedule, quality. Responsible for the day-to-day successful execution of contracted engineering, procurement, and construction scope in the areas of performance, financial metrics, planning, schedule, quality, contractual compliance, safety, and client satisfaction. Provides for the successful staffing of the project. Manages and leads small teams of multi-discipline professionals. Coordinates and integrates the activities associated with the engineering, procurement, construction, and startup elements of the project team, including the activities of all third party companies contributing to the initiative.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a Project Manager position within Black & Veatch’s Power Business Environmental Services group. Primary responsibilities include managing projects within Environmental Services business, which includes environmental compliance planning, environmental permitting, due diligence, and environmental review services. Travel outside of the office up to 35% of time to meet in person with existing and prospective clients, as well as permitting agencies and officials in executing projects.
Must be familiar with domestic and international permitting, licensing, and environmental quality review processes for various energy development projects, including power generation (fossil fuel and renewable energy); electric transmission line routing and permitting; and gas (natural and LNG) facilities and pipelines. This includes identifying and interpreting the statutes and regulations affecting the siting, design, construction, and operation of projects; coordinating with regulatory agencies and environmental consultants; and supervising the preparation of site certification applications, permit applications, environmental reports, and environmental compliance procedures manuals. Occasional participation in public hearings associated with permit application approvals and environmental assessments is also required. This role also directs the preparation of environmental impact analyses.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Selling and managing a variety of environmental consulting, permitting and assessment activities for major energy, industrial and infrastructure development projects (domestic and international). Identification of business opportunities, generating prospects, developing and managing proposals, and making client presentations for environmental services.
• Championing proposal efforts by assisting in the evaluation and pricing process, identifying and characterizing key differentiators to use regarding services offered, coordinating and managing proposal production, and participating in proposal presentations for management and review boards.
• Developing and maintaining working relationships with other Black & Veatch service area project managers and business development professionals with regard to environmental services support opportunities and strategies.
• Developing and implementing plans of study and approaches, and then managing staff, budgets and schedules in execution of large, complex multidisciplinary environmental consulting, permitting and engineering design projects
• Reviewing delegated tasks for studies and reviewing reports prepared by staff for completeness, technical quality and logic, as well as mentoring junior environmental professionals on project work.
• Manage and mentor staff and assist with career development
• Researching and tracking regulatory and industry developments and trends affecting or driving environmental and engineering projects in the energy, infrastructure and industrial sectors
• Develop and maintain subject matter expertise and thought leadership within environmental service area
• Participation in client engagement opportunities and establishing and maintaining client relationship
• Representing Black & Veatch at marketing and industry conferences.
Bachelor of science degree.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• 10 or more years of demonstrated selling and solutions-oriented management of permitting and environmental review projects for energy infrastructure projects.
• Applicants must have successfully permitted power generation facilities and/or major electricity transmission lines and/or natural gas pipelines.
• Specific experience in routing of linear facilities (transmission lines, pipelines) and siting of new power generation or gas infrastructure facilities a plus.
• Applicants must have demonstrated experience in managing the development of major environmental impact assessment and review documents in compliance with NEPA or comparable state or international requirements.
• Demonstrated business development experience in growing client base and entering new markets.
• Advanced academic degree (masters or doctorate) in environmental science, engineering or similar field a plus.
• Microsoft Office; GIS-(desired); good writing and communications skills