Fleet Services Manager
Date published: 30-Nov-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Corporate-HR
Business Plan: GEN
This Service Manager will manage and supervise the operations crew and maintenance of construction equipment to ensure all are working efficiently and safely. Assuring the proper diagnoses, adjustment, repair, or overhaul of mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, forklifts, backhoe, and drill rigs, used in construction. Plan and coordinate the efforts of the mechanics and crewmen under his/her supervision and motivate them to accomplish the work safely, correctly and efficiently. Supervise other crafts at levels appropriate to training and skills as requested by project supervision.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Be able to perform all of the principal duties and accountability of workers under his/her supervision.
• Lead and support all safety related processes and programs as requested. Engage with your work team to ensure we achieve zero injuries. Lead, complete, and sign off on daily pre-job safety planning in the appropriate format. Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate or mitigate hazards. Assure all crew members understand, participate, and sign all pre-job safety planning tools at start and end of shift.
• Be proficient in scheduling, material control, unit man-hour performance, estimating fundamentals, and job cost management in the Field Process Management System (FPMS).
• Be able to create and execute a 4 week schedule and monitor the mechanics’s one week schedule. Monitor/plan crew goals and proactively make changes necessary to keep crews on track with goals.
• Review and approve crew's timecards for correct hours and phase coding.
• Participate in incident investigations and report accidents and act to prevent future occurrences to project management and site safety. Assist in leading the investigation process as needed and review accidents and the causes with employees.
• Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens).
• Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions rapidly and accurately.
• Listen to other employees and supervisor's suggestions, complaints, problems, safety concerns and recommendations, evaluate each and then devise and implement a plan of action based on that evaluation. Consult with supervisor and if needed HR on any issues.
• Coordinate and communicate work with other crafts and co-workers on the job.
• Assure mechnics are providing on-the-job training to craft workers.
• Train/teach safety practices, policies and procedures related to an employee's assigned tasks and ensure that foremen do the same.
• Assure mechanis perform task planning to safely and efficiently carry out all aspects of that work assigned.
• Plan and communicate with supervisor to assure that an adequate supply of tools, parts, materials and equipment are available.
• Understand and periodically review project master schedule. Prepare and monitor the progress of the work accomplished relative to the Short Interval Schedule.
• Gain a complete understanding of the scope of work and the related parts of the project. Develop a thorough understanding of the project plans, specifications and schedule as they relate to that portion of the work assigned; review with foremen at start of and throughout the task. Delegate and communicate safety concerns, work scope, plans, budgeted man-hours and schedules to the foremen.
• Monitor productivity rates and review with mechanic. Prepare daily reports completely and accurately.
• Assure employees produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards. Ensure Quality Control on all equipment.
• Ensure that construction equipment is correctly operated, maintained, in good working order, and Daily Equipment Inspections are completed for equipment being utilized.
• Complete performance reviews for subordinates according to Craft Performance Assessment (CPA) Guidelines and assure foreman is completing reviews of craft workers. Ensure that subordinates are qualified to perform their work as it relates to their level. Manage warranty on all equipment with manufactures. Maintain an efficient parts inventory in warehouse and on service trucks.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
2-4 years previous experience working as a mechanic and supervisor, and a strong working knowledge of the maintenance of construction equipment. Must have working knowledge of industrial construction equipment, machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance. Commercial driver's license is preferred when the equipment will be operated on public roads