Project Scientist 2-Hazardous Waste Remediation
Date published: 14-Jan-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Govt Federal SE
Business Plan: ENS
Black & Veatch Special Projects Corp. (BVSPC) is a nationwide engineering and scientific consulting firm that provides environmental services for federal government agencies. We offer a comprehensive scope of services covering environmental investigation, design and remediation. BVSPC is seeking a full time Project Scientist to support human health and ecological risk assessment, development and performance of field studies, data validation and environmental assessments for domestic projects. The position is located in Alpharetta, GA or Overland Park, KS.
Provide environmental support through the development of performance of field studies, environmental assessments, and completion of permit/license applications for domestic or international projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Scientist will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
• Conduct literature surveys and assist in preparation of sampling plans.
• Participate in environmental studies (may include human health and ecological risk assessments, environmental audits, permit applications, remedial investigations, feasibility studies, etc.) to collect primary baseline data for projects.
• Establish and maintain required files to document reference, consultation, analytical methods, and rationale used in reaching conclusions.
• Will require periodic participation in field work (up to 30% travel).
• Other duties: Implement the developed project strategies including study plans, budgets and schedules, review scientific studies and reports for completeness, technical quality and logic.
Minimum of 1 year of experience performing science related activities. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Toxicology, Environmental Science, Biology, or related field and a minimum of 3 years of experience. Master’s Degree not required but is a plus. Prior experience with human health and ecological risk assessment is also beneficial.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
• Experience with common environmental workflows
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
• Strong mathematical and analytical skills
• Experience with GIS and databases a plus
• Interpersonal/human relations, organizational, and problem-solving skills
• Ability to meet deadlines and work productively in a collaborative environment
• High initiative with an ability to work with minimal supervision
• Service oriented
U.S. Citizenship Status
Applicants must be United States citizens or permanent residents. Only in the absence of qualified U.S. citizens will permanent residents who are citizens of countries specified as exceptions to the appropriations act ban on paying non- U.S. citizens be considered.