GIS Specialist/Developer 3 - Water Business
Date published: 15-Nov-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENS
Black & Veatch’s Asset Management and Information Solutions group has grown rapidly and has an exciting opportunity for professionals interested in applying Geographic Information System (GIS) skills and technologies to the challenges of managing water, wastewater, stormwater and energy utility infrastructure. Our success has been founded on a combination of a team-centric culture and a collaborative, client-focused mentality committed to delivering technical excellence – every time! Asset management, and specifically asset management information solutions which includes technologies such as GIS, is a strategic growth area for the firm and provides exciting career possibilities and potential for interested professionals.
With supervision, will function as a GIS Junior Developer in the Planning & Asset Management Department of Black & Veatch. Position is based in Dallas, TX. Position provides GIS and Information Management-related development support to a wide variety of utility and engineering projects in the water sector.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs analytical, technical, and/or developmental tasks, such as:
• Works with senior developer to extend and improve existing ESRI ArcGIS Server Object Extension (SOE) applications
• Converts data from spreadsheets and other sources into relational SQL Server databases to support program management dashboards and other applications.
• Write ArcPy scripts to perform various types of geoprocessing tasks as needed
• Prepares user guides and technical memorandum to document workflows, processes and training materials for a variety of activities.
• Works with project team to prepare proposals, technical papers, presentations, reports and implementation plans
• Ensures compliance with project requirements of accuracy / specifications for scope of service and overall quality.
• Performs additional tasks specific to an area of expertise or technology.
Bachelors' degree in Physical, Earth, or Life Science from an accredited university; or equivalent job-related experience. Typically a minimum of 3 years of experience performing related activities. Solid knowledge of GIS applications / development tools as applicable. Exposure to engineering-related concepts and functions desired. UK Qualification: Working towards industry recognised qualification or chartership e.g. RGS chartered Geographer.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Desired experience includes all facets of GIS including geodatabase design, data development, high-end analysis, and server and enterprise administration. The successful candidate will also have the opportunity (if not already established) to develop expertise in the integration of GIS with other technologies such as custom program management dashboards, Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) and hydraulic modeling.
Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Geography, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university; or equivalent job-related work experience.
• Minimum of 3 years of ESRI software experience.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience working ArcGIS Server.
• Must have solid understanding and aptitude for working with relational databases.
• Excellent time / data management, communication, and interpersonal skills required.
• Experience developing, monitoring, and managing project deliverables, budgets, and schedules.
• Enthusiastic about learning, pushing technical limits, and developing new solutions.
Experience with the following is considered advantageous:
• 1-2 Years’ of experience with Java Script development including use of Angular and/or Dojo libraries.
• 1-2 Years’ of experience with Python scripting.
• 1-2 Years’ of experience with .NET REST service development.