I&C Engineering Technician / Inspector - Water Business
Date published: 4-Jun-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENT
Black & Veatch – Water Business<br>Water is one of the world’s most precious resources. Managing and treating water are among the world’s most complex challenges. Black & Veatch knows the best and most advanced ways to clean, move, control and conserve water. That’s what makes us world leaders in water. <br><br>Black & Veatch delivers design, procurement and construction solutions that help to provide safe drinking water and effective wastewater management to communities worldwide. We serve public and private clients of every size with a strong focus on life cycle economy, efficiency and reliability.<br><br>We find innovative solutions to protect water at its source, treat it to the highest standards, and deliver it to homes and businesses. Then we collect and treat wastewater before reintroducing it safely back into the environment. <br><br>Our systems protect the environment and conserve precious water supply. We deliver solutions that preserve and protect groundwater and watersheds, and provide effective flood control. We help clients successfully manage storm drainage. <br><br>Black & Veatch helps clients make smart use of water resources, including water reuse systems, desalination, dams and hydro power, renewables, irrigation, aquifer storage and recovery.
Black & Veatch has an exciting opportunity for an Electrical, Instrumentation and Control Technician within our Water Americas Systems Design Group in our West Regional Design Center in Phoenix, AZ.
As an employee-owned, global leader in building critical infrastructure in the energy, water, telecommunications and government services markets, Black & Veatch has a long-standing reputation for providing world-class service to our clients.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Our Systems Design Group provides electrical, instrumentation, control and process mechanical solutions to all of Black & Veatch’s Water/Wastewater projects throughout North America. Black & Veatch is currently building our successful Phoenix regional office into the West Regional Design Center to support clients in western North America. This position will be part of our talented and growing Electrical and I&C team in the West Regional Design Center.
• Exciting career growth opportunity
• Perform field inspection, testing, design and construction coordination for electrical, instrumentation and control systems for water and wastewater utility clients.
• Provide troubleshooting and field investigations to support client needs.
• Develop knowledge of client design standards and assist others in interpretation and application
Field Inspection and Testing Responsibilities:
• Knowledge of process instrumentation such as pressure and flow transmitters
• Knowledge of PLC’s, VFD’s and relay type controls
• Witnessing or performing instrument calibrations and loop checks
• Working around electrical equipment such as MCC’s and panelboards of various voltages
Construction Coordination Responsibilities:
• Attend construction meetings
• Reviewing contractor shop drawings
• Performing field inspection of contractor work
• Communications and coordination between the client, design engineers and general contractors.
• Field verification of existing wiring and controls
• Development of P&IDs
• Development of control panel details, schematics
• Development of computer system I/O lists
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• 2+ years of experience in the design, installation and startup of electrical, instrumentation and control systems in an industrial automation environment.
• Experience in the water and wastewater industry is highly desirable.
• Experience reading and interpreting electrical schematic drawings and control panel wiring drawings.
• Experience reading and interpreting electrical single line diagrams and Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s)
• Experience with AutoCAD
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Experience in PLC and HMI programming desirable but not required.