Electrical Lead Superintendent (Central Java Project)
Date published: 9-Nov-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Corporate Const/Procurement
Business Plan: CNS
Black & Veatch is executing the entire construction BOP scope for Central Java, 2 x 1000MW supercritical coal fired project.
Reporting to the construction manager, the incumbent will be responsible in planning, coordination, and execution of all electrical construction works related to the project.
Major responsibilities include:
• Interfacing with and monitoring major subcontractor supervision and field engineering.
• Ensures project requirements and expectations are met with regards to Subcontractors performance and productivity.
• Ensures adherence by all Subcontractors to safety, quality, schedule and performance expectations as defined by Black and Veatch.
• Provides supervisors with information and technical direction required to complete project safely, timely and in a quality manner.
• Ensures schedule and project expectations are clearly defined to Subcontractors.
• Ensures schedule requirements are communicated to all levels of Supervision.
• Coordinates interpretation of technical requirements.
• Provides technical data and information, as required, to direct hire workforce, subcontractor supervision or Construction Engineers.
• Ensures compliance by workforce or subcontractor to all standards, procedures and contractual commitments within the bounds of all applicable policies
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
•Manage and coordinate electrical construction activities in line with subcontract programme.
•Monitor progress against overall project programme.
•Direct the E&ICA subcontractor in daily/weekly planning meetings.
•Review design information. Highlight issues to design / field engineer. Liaise with them to ensure adequate discussion and agreement of any potential design changes.
•Ensure installation meets all quality standards.
•Maintain accurate record of design changes/red line drawings.
•Monitor and report on construction productivity and programme performance (including trends) to Project Management.
•Report weekly on commodity (cable and containment) installation status to the Project Controls Manager (Planner).
•Take actions necessary to meet project budget and programme requirements.
•Agree with project manager the development and implementation of construction programme recovery plans as required.
•Coordinate the Construction Completion Walk downs and complete handover of ‘Turnover’ packages to the Commissioning Manager/Engineer.
•Supervise the close out of all punch list items.
•Assist Project Field Manager/Construction Manager with client interface and relations.
•Coordinate with Design/Field Engineer the inspection of all procured equipment for acceptance. Ensure correct storage and complete delivery QA inspections.
•Produce QA inspection records for E&ICA equipment using templates.
•Review and approve equipment hires (if supplied by company) and coordinate shared use of this equipment with subcontractors.
•Attend weekly coordination meetings.
•Conduct weekly subcontractor progress meetings.
•Monitor all scope change requests against sub-contract tender documents. Agree all back charges, and supplier and subcontractor progress/final payment requests with QS.
•Ensure all site changes are entered into site change log.
•Adhere to Safety, Quality, Ethical Standards, Lessons Learned, and Performance
•Management programs in accordance with Division Policies, Standards, Guides, and Contractual commitments.
•Review and approve all RAMS from E&ICA subcontractors.
•Participate in project safety initiatives. Conduct toolbox talks.
•Set up and manage electrical safety system on project. Complete weekly inspections.
•Have a good general knowledge of all disciplines of construction and be able to stand in for another discipline if necessary.
•Resolve any safety and quality issues relating to the E&ICA subcontractor with assistance from the safety and quality managers where necessary.
•Understand the major commercial and deliverable T&Cs of the construction subcontracts and manage within these terms.
•Monitor and control allocation sheets from subcontractors.
•Write monthly report on E&ICA installation progress for inclusion in external monthly report.
•Coordinate with the Field Engineers or home office engineers on engineering deliverables.
•Responsible for the effective management of equipment/MCC suppliers and timesheet tracking.
5+ years experience as Superintendent 2 on similar projects or equivalent. Construction Management and Contract Administration training and qualification required. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering or Equivalent
• At least 15 years of relevant experience in electrical construction, particularly in large power plants
• Specific experience of working successfully with ultra-supercritical coal-fired power plants would be advantageous.
• Previous commissioning experience would be highly advantageous.
• Demonstrated success in leading and working collaboratively with multidisciplinary site, engineering staff and contracted resources.
• Excellent oral, written communication, and presentation skills, including the ability to communicate with all levels in English.
• GIS switchyard experience required