Graduate Civil Engineer
Date published: 11-Jan-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Why Black & Veatch?
It’s what we do. Why? Because we’re driven by solving clients’ complex problems, building relationships and fulfilling our Mission of Building a World of Difference®.
Black & Veatch helps to improve and sustain the quality of life around the world. Every day, we’re doing work that improves lives, sparks economic development, strengthens public health and changes communities for the better.
As a Black & Veatch professional, you’ll be working on sustainable solutions to some of today’s biggest energy, water and communications challenges. We have more than 100 offices worldwide and projects in more than 100 countries. You will be joining one of our newest offices, located in Dublin will have the opportunity to work on exciting here in Ireland, the UK and potentially further afield. In addition we offer excellent benefits like:
Pension (8% employer contribution when employee contributes 5%)
Company funded life assurance
Company funded income protection
Company funded private medical insurance
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The role will involve undertaking civil engineering design work on projects for water industry and other clients, particularly government clients looking to manage flood risk. The successful candidate will be involved in all civil engineering aspects of project delivery including feasibility, initial design development, outline and detailed design, and site liaison. The candidate will also have the opportunity to gain experience by rotation into short term site, commercial and managerial roles, requiring potential flexibility in future location.
Black & Veatch is looking for a Graduate Civil Engineers to be based at in our Dublin office, working within our Consultancy group on Irish and UK Water Engineering projects.
As a Graduate Civil Engineer, you will be taking part in our development programme. You will be a valued member of our highly experienced and widely respected team at Black and Veatch.
Black and Veatch treat each Graduate Engineer as an individual and will provide all relevant training, development and support so that you may further your engineering career. We are a diverse and energetic team and you will play a key role in contributing to our team’s and company’s success.
Black & Veatch offers you possibilities on an international scale with over 100 offices worldwide and projects completed in 100 plus countries. What’s more, you can work on exciting global projects regardless of where you are physically located. Whatever industries and technologies interest you, Black & Veatch can get you there. You will also gain experience and expertise in all aspects of the Irish and UK Water Industry.
• Undertaking outline and detail design, both individually (under supervision) and as part of a wider team, for projects within specified timescales.
• Assisting with the producing site plans, general arrangements and calculations, using approved engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
• Working alongside other professionals and JV construction partners, in multi-disciplinary teams.
• Co-ordinating work with other Black & Veatch offices and liaising with engineers and other professionals in the wider B&V, providing adequate information to enable projects to be progressed effectively.
• Assisting with preparation of technical and non-technical reports.
• Ensuring the civil design takes account of buildability and H&S requirements.
• Liaison with internal and external stakeholders at an appropriate level to ensure the civil design is communicated effectively.
• Assisting with design support activities during construction.
Key relationships and personnel for whom this person will be responsible: • A team player, with an ability to develop as workload grows.
• Enthusiasm and willingness to be part of a developing team.
• Report Writing (well-developed MS word skills).
• Understanding of the importance of Health and Safety in Design.
• Open to trying new ideas, happy to work on wide range of projects each with different focus.
• Ability to work alone and in a team, reporting progress as needed. Ability to understand own limits and call for help at appropriate times.
• Ability to work within B&V’s management system and to follow procedures/processes etc.
• Willingness to operate outside of comfort zone.
• Thinking through engineering problems and discussing potential solutions with senior engineers.
• Comfortable using IT systems to collaborate, including using skype for phone conferences, screen sharing etc as our project teams are often spread across several offices.
Education & training:
Ordinary Degree (NFQ level 7) in Civil Engineering or related degree e.g. Environmental or Structural Engineering.
Academic & profess’l qualif’ns: Necessary qualifications to achieve AEng MIEI or CEng MIEI or equivalent other institutions (particularly ICE).
Background & experience:
Desire to work proactively towards Associate or Chartered membership of Engineers Ireland, the ICE, CIWEM or other equivalent institutions
Core subjects of civil (or environmental) engineering qualification
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Self-motivated and effective team player.
• Good knowledge of various Microsoft Office programs
Enthusiastic, diligent and sociable
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies: • Learning on the Fly • Problem Solving • Intellectual Horsepower • Written Communications • Drive For Results • Decision Quality • Informing • Listening • Dealing with Ambiguity Preferred Technical Competencies: • Basic knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline • Basic industry knowledge and technology trends • Basic knowledge of company quality program • Basic knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles