Chief Engineer - ENS 7
Date published: 8-Nov-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENS
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
The Chief Engineer works with the Department Managers and Project leadership to ensure project completion in an efficient manner. The Chief Engineer also manages training curriculum, tool development, automation, quality control and adherence to company policy and procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
•Provide input to and ensure adherence to the Corporate Safety program
•Provide input to and ensure adherence to the Division’s Quality Management System
•In conjunction with division management, forecast strategic and long-term tool/process needs for the business and implement them. Coordinate with Business Line and functional leads to forecast short and intermediate-term tool/process needs and to implement them.
•Coordinate with project management in the development of project execution plans.
•Consult/Recommend most effective engineering technology mix for projects.
•Drive innovation efficiency through tools & automation.
•Ensure training and development of professionals meets department objectives.
•Oversee and manage Department training curriculum.
•Assists in establishing goals for the Department and its professionals.
•Software Bundle/Application management.
•Participate in the Chief Engineers Council
•Travel as required
•May be asked to provide proposal support and participates in the development of proposals and proposal strategies
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
•Minimum of 15 years related Engineering work experience.
•Ability to research and apply technical information
•Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
•Ability to create and lead diverse teams of Engineers and Technicians
•Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities. Industry recognized credentials preferred as needed.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Advanced knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
• Advanced knowledge of other disciplines
• Advanced ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
• Advanced industry knowledge and technology trends
• Advanced knowledge of company quality program
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Advanced knowledge of procurement & contract administration
• Working knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Advanced knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
• Advanced business & financial acumen
• Advanced knowledge of company/division/HR programs, policies, procedures, and organization structure
• Advanced knowledge of management techniques & adminstrative policies, procedures
• Thorough knowledge of budgeting process
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies: • Drive For Results • Priority Setting • Planning • Delegation • Directing Others • Conflict Management • Customer Focus • Building Effective Teams