Drafting Engineering Technician 1
Date published: 30-Nov-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENT
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Black & Veatch has an opening for a Drafting Engineering Technician 1 contract to hire position, potential to convert to permanent. Under the supervision of the Graphics Lead, perform engineering technician work requiring basic technical knowledge utilizing electronic applications, processes, standards and document control processes/procedures for the purpose of creating or modifying deliverables. Evaluates methods used to accomplish the drafting and/or design activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Role will be responsible for drafting/design of a wireline (ISP/OSP fiber) Telecom project.
• Develop or modify deliverables based on GIS design, field gathered information, rough sketches, marked-up copies and/or detailed verbal instructions.
• Develops necessary layouts/views, sections and details with supervision.
• Learn and understand the standards and procedures of the current project and Black & Veatch.
• Performs minor computations such as material quantity estimate, dimensional checks, etc. as assigned.
• Learn new programs or processes required for assignments.
• Continuously evaluates methods used to accomplish the activities they have been assigned.
• If this evaluation indicates that a process can be simplified, without sacrificing the integrity of the outcome, it should be discussed with the supervisor for possible implementation.
• Ensures that the deliverables and tasks that they work on are complete and meet Black & Veatch’s QA requirements.
No previous engineering work experience required. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Diploma or Certificate preferred. Associate Degree in Drafting or an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred.
• Internship and/or 6+ months experience in a drafting role is nice to have.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Working knowledge of the Computer Automated Drafting Design (CADD) program, “AutoCAD” is required.
• Basic knowledge in (GIS, 3GIS, Visio and Civil 3D) is preferred, but not required.
• Basic knowledge of engineering standards, systems, document control, departmental guides and B&V policies and procedures.
• Basic industry knowledge and technology trends.
• Basic knowledge of company quality program.
• Basic ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Learning on the Fly • Problem Solving • Perseverance • Patience • Time Management • Drive for Results • Self Development • Customer Focus • Listening • Informing