Fiber Design Engineering Specialist 4
CA-Los Angeles, CA-San Diego, CO-Denver, KS-Overland Park, MN-Bloomington
Date published: 6-Jan-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENS
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Functions in a mid-level engineer capacity, or technical specialist. Under general supervision, performs all aspects of conventional fiber ring based design engineering and analysis based upon AT&T provided Planning documentation to support Small Cell interconnectivity. Detailed knowledge of AT&T practices and skill set in fiber area of discipline required. ARAMIS support platform experience or OPTI experience is advantageous.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Plan Review/Design Production for Site Solutions 70%
Permit Management is 20%
Site Walk team interaction is 10%
This individual is a Telecommunications Professional and must be capable of engineering routine and specific outside plant work orders; both distribution and feeder.
Ideal candidates will be experienced in OSP design of fiber optic facilities, in aerial, underground, and buried applications.
Technical knowledge and understanding of right of way and easements is required.
General understanding of aerial construction, including span lengths, pole loading, anchoring, guying, and attachment heights; as well as familiarity with joint use regulations are all an added plus.
Position may also require the capability to manage subordinate project personnel.
An Engineer's primary responsibility is to work collaboratively with the Engineering Manager and the design/engineering team on the production of high quality deliverables on telecommunications CRAN based small cell fiber extension projects, in accordance with AT&T engineering practices/standards and Telecom Division policies.
The Design Engineer will:
1. Lead the creation and delivery of designs to our Client’s satisfaction.
2. Work closely with the Engineering Manager, Site Acquisition personnel, and Construction Managers in delivering projects that meet budget, scope, schedule, and quality goals.
3. Develop good working relationships and communications with the Engineering Manager, Site Acquisition personnel, Construction Managers, Client representatives, and local jurisdictions.
Responsibilities identified herein define the minimum expectations for the position of Engineer.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree or direct work experience in fiber outside plant design technology. Specialized training, or experience in AT&T systems and networks that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
•Typically a minimum of 5 years related work experience with OSP Fiber Design.
• AT&T wireline/fiber experience preferred.
• Ideal candidates will have 3-5 years direct OSP AT&T telecommunications experience preferred.
• Ideal candidates will be experienced in OSP design of fiber optic facilities, in aerial, underground, and buried applications.
Ability to draft with AutoCAD is also a plus.