IT Operations Consultant
Date published: 4-Apr-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ADM
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
The IT Operations Consultant is responsible for developing, implementing, and supporting processes and tools to manage business information. This position identifies and champions IT process and tool improvements that will positively impact the execution of Telecom projects and ensures that decisions regarding IT products and services align with the Division’s strategic goals and objectives. The IT Operations Consultant drives interaction between business and IT in terms of addressing organizational communication and teaming.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Tools and Processes
• Understands the division’s business operations and challenges related to data management, and identifies possible solutions
• Manages external vendors and partners for services agreements, statements of work, billing and closeout functions
• Maintain working knowledge of IT standards and interfaces for Telecom business processes as it relates to project management, document management, accounting, design, etc.
• Develops the business case to support recommendations for enhanced IT tools and processes.
• Participates in system analysis and feasibility studies and assist in preparation of system requirements and design specifications.
• Manages implementation of new IT tools and process with expected cost, quality, schedule, security, and communication results. Coordinates with technology project managers to integrate IT activities with functional business activities. For the functional activities, scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
• Ensures effective use of existing tools and processes.
• Integrates IT processes with the Division’s Quality Management System.
IT Operations and Oversight
• Manages the Division’s compliance practices (including compliance with client requirements) related to digital information, IT assets, user behaviors and auditing regimen.
• Periodically audits asset management and usage records (including air cards and cell phones) to ensure accuracy and control costs.
• Educates and communicates best practices related to Data and System Security Standards
• Responsible for Business Continuity implementation and testing efforts related to technology and infrastructure for all critical facilities around the world
• Critical input for planning and budgeting of division hardware and software needs and prepares equipment forecasts.
• Drives software purchase and application development oversight through Telecom IT Steering Committee; ensure alignment with business strategies and tactical system delivery needs
• Along with HP and CIO office participate in development and maintenance of B&V/Telecom standard software/hardware/services.
• Ensure that hardware and software is adequately matched and prioritized to user needs.
• As key stakeholder of Enterprise Wide projects, guide IT project delivery in accordance with scope, schedule and budget
• Establishes and monitors key IT Operations metrics related to technology use, outages and budget/spend
• Coordinates with DXC, CapGemini, CIO Team, and project IT personnel in identifying, prioritizing and coordinating all new and existing site office IT needs.
• Reviews and guides facility mobilization and demobilization IT plans based upon project execution requirements
• Reviews cost estimates and site implementation plans.
• Prepares purchase requisitions and Approval for Expenditure forms.
• Participates in IT/business coordination meetings as designated.
• Interfaces with the DXC Service Delivery Manager and the CIO office for ongoing IT activities and action items, and reports status to Division senior management.
• Monitors IT related activity within the division and ensures compliance with corporate policies and procedures.
• Provides oversight of Vendor Service Level Agreements as member of Service Delivery Committee; ensure alignment between Telecom Business drivers and key Service Level Agreements
Minimum of 3 years’ experience performing duties comparable to those of a Contract Administrator 4. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can't; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer resources.
• Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations; has a good sense of timing.
• Ability to identify and clearly communicate project scope and manage client expectations.
• Quality working knowledge of LAN/WAN technologies and infrastructure
• Hands on technical knowledge of Windows 10, O365 and emerging desktop technologies and familiarity with troubleshooting them
• Familiarity with database technologies such as SQL Server, MongoDB and Cosmos Db
• Familiarity with spatial technologies such as Esri
• Experience leveraging an Agile SDLC methodology for delivery of technology solutions