Make Ready Engineering Design Lead
Date published: 13-Jan-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENS
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Contract to hire opportunity. The Make Ready Engineering Design Lead functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role. Under general supervision, performs all aspects of conventional design engineering and analysis. Broadens knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May start to expand knowledge in other disciplines and/or functional areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ideal candidates will be experienced in Make Ready (MRE) design of aerial copper and fiber optic cable onto utility power poles (distribution).
• Technical knowledge and understanding of right of way and easements is required.
• Advanced knowledge of aerial construction, including span lengths, pole loading, anchoring, guying, and attachment heights, as well as familiarity with joint use regulations are all a plus.
• Position requires the capability to manage subordinate project personnel.
• Manage development of permit and construction plans.
• Attend company and client status meetings.
• Must have experience in power pole make ready design and construction, materials and the costs associated with make ready construction and power pole replacements.
• Must have an in depth knowledge of National Electric Safety code (NESC) and pole loading analysis.
• Must have an in depth knowledge of pole loading analysis data collecting techniques and pole loading analysis software.
• Must be able to read, decipher and understand various power company schematic diagrams and construction drawings.
• Must understand Power Company’s material ordering systems (i.e. STORMS) and other variations of material ordering systems.
• Candidate will be required to evaluate a large number of problematic power poles and various situations from multiple sources and make a determination of the problem and provide a solution and resolution.
• Candidate must be familiar with National databases i.e. NJUNS and others.
• Candidate must be familiar with third party attachers, communications, CATV and other pole attachers and must provide solutions and guidance for re-positioning of third party attachers on a power pole.
• Candidate will be required to mentor and train less experienced personnel.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities. Preferred Non-Technical Competencies: • Learning on the Fly • Problem Solving • Intellectual Horsepower • Written Communications • Drive For Results • Decision Quality • Informing • Listening • Dealing with Ambiguity Preferred Technical Competencies: • Basic knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline • Basic industry knowledge and technology trends • Basic knowledge of company quality program • Basic knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles