OSP Field Design Engineering Specialist 3
CO-Colorado Springs, CO-Denver, KS-Overland Park, OH-Columbus
Date published: 8-Jun-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENS
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
The OSP Field Design Engineer is responsible for Fiber Optic detailed network design for FTTx fiber based networks. It requires an in depth understanding of current fiber optic design standards, construction standards and industry processes. It also requires a working knowledge of a GIS based design support software program and close coordination with site fielding staff and graphics personnel to support the final product. Typical OSP design responsibilities range from the initial determination of the pathway routing and construction alternatives based on site walk outs to final detailed design generation. The design engineer is fully responsible and accountable for the final design content and document generation to support the placement of the physical fiber infrastructure supporting Outside and Inside Plant communication facilities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Attend Engineering team meetings and follow up design calls.
• Evaluate, document and adhere to Client design requirements
• Support design team in generating detailed network drawings in GIS software while supporting ongoing design conference calls.
• Coordinate with the fielding team and contract personnel on specific site visit schedules and data gathering requirements.
• Create high level preliminary route design and facility specifics to manage fielding request instructions.
• Calculate and generate all necessary splicing prints/port assignments and power loss budgets.
• Support the team by participating in the mentoring of other new design team members.
• Perform design within allocated budgets and time frames.
• Provide Engineering Manager with updates on progress and roadblocks.
• Participate in developing process improvement concepts.
• Design formulation
• Design review and quality assurance
• Local client interface
• Review fielding and client change request to manage the scope of work changes and design criteria.
• Produce change order documentation
• Perform detailed design in 3-GIS based systems.
• Review designs for quality and cost improvements.
• Support design via any jurisdiction permits drawings required.
• Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones, and provide regular updates.
• Help Maintain project records and files, in Documentum and SharePoint.
• Support QC and as built efforts with design changes/updates.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or related experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
• Typically, a minimum of 4+ years related work experience in OSP fiber detailed design and/or OSP Construction experience.
• Experience in interpreting client request and apply design standards to work product.
• Possesses a deep understanding of inside and/or outside plant fiber optic network infrastructure alternatives available.
• Familiar with construction focused on FTTx fiber builds.
• Knowledge/experience with Web Applications and the 3-GIS design domain.
• Strong interpersonal, analytical and communication skills.
• Flexible and able to think quickly working to resolve design issues and makes decisions.
• Experience in working on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Functions as a technical specialist with minimal supervision.