Senior RF Engineer 6
Date published: 13-Jun-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENG
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Functions as a technical specialist or supervisory role. Independently develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems. May supervise engineering staff on projects of medium to high complexity, or serve as a technical specialist providing knowledge and expertise.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise staff on several medium to large projects.
• Responsible for specifying equipment, creating design drawings and layouts, and identifying appropriate frequency bands.
• Lead project meetings and make presentations.
• Routinely interact with clients to identify needs and requirements.
• Research existing client conditions and make recommendations to enhance large, complex telecommunication networks, owned and operated by private entities such as water and power utilities, educational institutions, and public safety agencies.
• Present complex technical data to audiences with non-technical backgrounds.
• Maintain records, lists and reports as required to ensure compliance with the client's schedule, accuracy of the budget, and adherence to procurement specifications.
• Keep informed of new communication methods and trends that affect the industry, and recommend new practices or changes in programs or applications.
• Represent the organization and maintain connections within the industry and related organizations.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 11 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience preparing cost, schedule, and resource estimates and writing requests for proposals as well as responses to RFP's.
• 5 years of engineering experience in design of communication projects for Utilities or Public Safety clients.
• 10 years of RF engineering experience in telecommunications industry
• Broad technical knowledge of FCC regulations and industry trends
• Visibility to trending technology and ability to provide planning for our clients.
• Capable of creating telecommunication master plans for our clients.
• Ability to perform and coordinate all stages of RF design.
• Experience creating design drawings including interconnection diagrams and schematics
• Able to create and edit design and construction specifications.
• Excellent supervisory, budgeting and delegation skills.
• Registered Professional Engineer in at least one of 50 USA States
• Familiar with multiple LMR system architectures, dispatching considerations, antenna and feedline selection, coverage test methods
• Microwave system design experience: link budgets, site evaluation, path feasibility evaluation, on-site path studies, specification of equipment, antennas, feedlines, and diversity measures.
• Familiar with lightning protection and EMI prevention: Bonding, grounding, design and installation of GPR and surge protection equipment
• Working knowledge of Public Switched Telephone Networks (PSTN) and VoIP networks.
• Knowledge of the design, installation and provision a wide range of mission critical WANs/MANs/LANS and equipment – DWDM, SONET, Ethernet, MPLS, OTN, or other Carrier class networks.
• Installation and troubleshooting any or all of the above in the field.
• Ability to work in Overland Park, KS