Lead Substation Designer - Power Delivery
Date published: 7-Jan-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENT
Functions in a senior lead engineering technician capacity. Under general direction, modify or create deliverables and perform assignments of a design nature by applying basic engineering principles and established design practices to develop complex design concepts. Provide technical guidance and may provide direction to other engineering professionals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pro-activate provides guidance and direction by utilizing knowledge of standards, systems, document control, departmental guides, applicable codes and B&V policies and procedures.
- Reviews project requirements and accurately determine the correct format and contents of the required deliverables.
Quality / Continuous Improvement:
- Promotes quality within project/group/section.
- Reviews design inputs in order to ensure consistency. Assists to ensure deliverables are in compliance with the specific codes and standards suitable for the project.
- Responsible for drawing control and historical records, utilizing the appropriate method, as established by the project.
- Demonstrates personal accuracy and drives continual improvement and change management efforts.
- Applies basic engineering principles and established design practices in developing moderately complex design concepts and deliverables.
- Applies judgment and makes decisions with respect to deliverables and input interpretation.
- Capable of handling difficult technical assignments within an area of expertise and can provide technical guidance to other professionals.
- Performs design calculations, detailed material quantities and estimates, and records.
- Uses advanced applications (e.g., modeling and design software) in performance of work provided.
- May review the deliverables of others.
- May define work assignments and maintain schedules.
- May program control systems or participate in other plant start-up activities associated with a specialized area of expertise.
- Coordinates with other design group personnel to review and exchange project information necessary for design development.
- May support field activities.
- May communicate project design requirements, progress and schedules.
- Responsible for assisting with identification of key client interests and drivers and may determine the key clients in some instances.
- May communicate client interests and drivers to project team members and develop approaches to accommodate these concerns.
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
- May assist discipline or department management in developing and communicating appropriate design standards and process improvement activities.
- Identify training and development needs for personnel they supervise.
- May be recognized for expertise in one or more areas.
People Management - (supervision - career development - developing professionals, mentoring):
- Typically assists with functions including performance management process, recognition, and corrective actions.
- May participate in career planning and learning and development.
- Supervises engineering technicians, including mentoring, instructing, delegation of work and providing feedback.
Resource Management - (staffing):
- May assist in monitoring staffing levels and available skill sets for project(s).
- Assists in identifying resource application needs and process requirements.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Associate Degree in Drafting or an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred. Bachelor Degree in an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred. Typically a minimum of 8 years related work experience. Preferred Non-Technical Competencies: • Learning on the Fly • Problem Solving • Perseverance • Patience • Time Management • Drive for Results • Self Development • Customer Focus • Listening • Informing Preferred Technical Competencies: • Ability to use the appropriate electronic applications and programs required for performing assignments. Include but not limited to CADD, other electronic applications, information modeling and document storage systems. • Advanced knowledge of engineering standards, systems, document control, departmental guides and B&V policies and procedures. • Intermediate industry knowledge and technology trends • Intermediate knowledge of company quality program • Advanced ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned. • Advanced knowledge of other disciplines • Basic knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles • Intermediate knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides related to assigned engineering discipline • Basic knowledge of procurement & contract administration • Basic knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating • Basic knowledge of management techniques and company/division HR programs, policies, procedures, and organization structure