Zoning & Permitting Specialist
Date published: 6-Apr-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ADM
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Prepares candidate information reports related to leasing, permitting and land use viability. Prepares lease or other real estate agreements. Coordinates with or supervises outside vendor partners, environmental engineers, architectural & engineering firms, title search firms, engineers and drafting technicians to ensure transactions close within defined timeframes. Identify potential risk scenarios. Draft and proof recordable transaction documents, easements, warranty deeds, etc. for legal department review. Prepares zoning and permitting applications. Monitors progress of the application and facilitate jurisdictional requests for additional information as a result of the application review process. Prepares collocation applications and manages the process through Notice to Proceed (NTP). Ensures compliance to the quality and safety goals and objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serves as primary Site Acquisition Specialist for particular site project including leasing, permitting and land use processing.
• For new-build projects, responsible for site acquisition activities from initial search ring release through NTP.
• For existing site modification projects, responsible for site acquisition activities from collocation applications, leasing and zoning audit through NTP.
• Provides candidate-specific recommendations for leasing and land use viability.
• Communicates activities with team members and other departments, as needed.
• Provides site sketches, as needed.
• Attends field site visits for candidate and engineering viability.
• Reviews title reports for ownership, encumbrances, easements, etc, and provides recommendation for leasing viability.
• Interviews zoning/permitting personnel to obtain jurisdictional approval requirements for installation of wireless communication facilities and/or related wireless equipment as project scope defines.
• Completes zoning ordinance reviews.
• Reviews zoning drawings for compliance with jurisdictional, regulatory and client requirements.
• Prepares, submits and obtains jurisdictional entitlements which may include applications and presentations before governmental or architectural review boards.
• Completes Lease & Zoning Audit Reviews for site modification projects.
• Coordinates with tower owners and/or private landlords to negotiate and secure lease entitlements as project scope defines.
• Completes collocation applications required by Tower companies and associated documents.
• Coordinates with client and engineering departments to obtain information necessary for entitlement applications (RF Affidavits, propagation maps, photo-simulations, etc…).
• Reviews and approves site specific documents for quality and completeness.
• Monitors and tracks progress on all open transactions.
• Maintains a high degree of customer service and integrity when dealing with clients.
• Other duties or special projects, as assigned.
• Verifies and/or obtains Enhanced 911 addressing.
• Individual contributor with no subordinates.
2 years telecommunications industry experience required. 4 year degree, or equivalent work experience.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Previous zoning and permitting experience on telecommunications or renewable projects is preferred.
Paralegal certificate, Urban Planning or Law Degree preferred.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Action Oriented
• Interpersonal Savvy
• Learning on the Fly
• Problem Solving
• Customer Focus
• Priority Setting
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Ability to work independently as well as with others
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Real estate, or legal negotiation experience
• Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively
• Ability to read and comprehend legal documents such as legal descriptions, surveys, ground leases, easements, deeds, land purchase contracts, mortgages, title policies, subordination, and technical drawings
• Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, and Outlook
• Supports and complies with the Division’s Quality Management System and Environmental, Safety, Health and Security Program