Civil Engineer 3
Date published: 15-Sep-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENG
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Contract with potential to convert to permanent.
Engineering Standards: Continues to learn and remains current on departmental design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies and procedures. Applies to assigned tasks as appropriate.
Quality / Continuous Improvement: Begins to independently apply knowledge and complies with B&V quality program relative to assigned tasks. Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
Engineering Production: Prepares a variety of moderately complex engineering deliverables. Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection. Collects, assimilates, and manages data for engineering work. Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles. Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements. Recognizes, defines and resolves problems within assigned area. May provide direction and guidance to others.
Project Coordination: Assigns tasks to and coordinates with other internal/external team members on less complex projects. Initiates contact with other disciplines as needed to identify and coordinate details of the work. C
lient Focus: Actively seeks to understand client interests and drivers through normal client contact and through interaction and communication with project leadership. Applies understanding of client interests and drivers to their own behavior and performance of the work under his/her responsibility. May provide support to business development or pursuit activities.
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology: Shares current knowledge of latest technology and processes.
People Management - (supervision, career development, training, mentoring): May assist with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Vendor Management is 30%
Plan Review/production-Site Solutions 40%
Budget Management is 20%
Site Walks is 10%
An Engineer’s primary responsibility is to work collaboratively with the Engineer Manager and the design/engineering team on the production of high quality deliverables on telecommunications projects, in accordance with engineering practices and Divisional policies.
Additionally, the Engineer will:
1. Help lead the delivery of our work products and services to our Client’s satisfaction.
2. Work closely with the Engineer Manager, permitting personnel, and Construction Managers in delivering projects that meet budget, scope, schedule, and quality goals.
3. Help manage and administrate Vendor Purchase Orders and approve invoices for 3rd Party engineering services for projects.
4. Develop good working relationships and communications with the Engineering Manager, Site Acquisition personnel, Construction Managers, Client representatives and Engineering Vendors.
Responsibilities identified herein define the minimum expectations for the position of Engineer.
• Keep the Engineer Manager, Market Engineering team, Permitting and Construction personnel fully advised as to progress of the work and any developments involving change in the scope of the contract work or otherwise which could affect the contract requirements and fee and/or Client relationships.
• Review the Client’s comments and success parameters and verify that the Client’s concerns are addressed. Check for impact on schedules, budget, and construction cost, and advise the Project Manager of any needed changes.
• Monitor and evaluate quality and progress of engineering subcontractor’s work and self-performed work.
• Attend Joint-Scoping meetings.
• Attend Client review meetings.
• Attend Jurisdiction review meetings as required.
• Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones, and provide regular update of such to the project team.
• Consult with and advise the Engineering Manager, Permitting staff and Construction Managers, regarding any questions raised in connection with the work.
• Maintain liaison with Production team(s), Permitting team, and Construction Managers regarding constructability, design, and operations and communicate lessons learned to the Engineering Manager and the project team.
• Support the Engineering Manager and market personnel in maintaining contact with the Client to monitor experience with project, Client’s satisfaction, and suggestions.
Records & Project Close-out
• Maintain project records and files, in project specified document management system.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 3 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Minimum of 3 years related work experience as a Civil Engineer.
• Small site development experience
• Site plan production/design - site equipment experience
• Background in managing processes and working closely with vendors
• Project Management experience
• Team Leadership Experience
• Vendor management experience
• Permitting of site design and/or ROW permitting
• Basic understanding of project budgetary goals
• Either has PE or is within 6 months of being able to sit for PE
• Intermediate knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline.
Learning on the Fly, Problem Solving, Intellectual Horsepower, Written Communications, Drive For Results, Decision Quality, Informing, Listening, and Dealing with Ambiguity.