Drafting Engineering Technician 1
Date published: 15-Feb-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENT
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Black & Veatch has an opening for a Drafting Engineering Technician 1/Field Engineering Tech 1. Position is contract to hire with potential to convert to permanent. Will spend first 4 months or so in an OSP/ISP Field position before transitioning into a Drafting position. Under the supervision of the Graphics Lead, perform engineering technician work requiring basic technical knowledge utilizing electronic applications, processes, standards and document control processes/procedures for the purpose of creating or modifying deliverables. Evaluates methods used to accomplish the drafting and/or design activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
OSP/ISP Field Engineering Tech:
• During the first 4 months or so the professional will start as a OSP/ISP Field Technician then transition into a Drafting position on a fiber project.
• During the time as a OSP/ISP Field Technician will be working primarily in the field, to gather data for engineering and design of aerial, underground, and buried fiber optic facilities.
• This job is based in our Chesterfield, MO office and entails field work around suburban St. Louis Metro Area and occasionally other metro areas to take pictures, measurements, document existing facilities, and obtain design information in preparation for OSP network design.
Drafting Engineering Tech
• Role will be responsible for drafting/design of a wireline (ISP/OSP fiber) Telecom project.
• Develop or modify deliverables based on GIS design, field gathered information, rough sketches, marked-up copies and/or detailed verbal instructions.
• Develops necessary layouts/views, sections and details with supervision.
• Learn and understand the standards and procedures of the current project and Black & Veatch.
• Performs minor computations such as material quantity estimate, dimensional checks, etc. as assigned.
• Learn new programs or processes required for assignments.
• Continuously evaluates methods used to accomplish the activities they have been assigned.
• If this evaluation indicates that a process can be simplified, without sacrificing the integrity of the outcome, it should be discussed with the supervisor for possible implementation.
• Ensures that the deliverables and tasks that they work on are complete and meet Black & Veatch’s QA requirements.
No previous engineering work experience required. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Diploma or Certificate preferred. Associate Degree in Drafting or an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred.
• Internship and/or 6+ months experience in a Drafting or Field role is nice to have.
• Individual must be available to mobilize when scheduled and possess a valid driver’s license with a clean motor vehicle report.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc…)
• Ability to work outside in varying weather conditions
• Must be able to stand, bend, squat, walk, move, lift, carry… equipment (>20lb) for the duration of the work day
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Working knowledge of the Computer Automated Drafting Design (CADD) program, “AutoCAD” is required.
• Basic knowledge in (GIS, 3GIS, Visio and Civil 3D) is preferred, but not required.
• Basic knowledge of engineering standards, systems, document control, departmental guides and B&V policies and procedures.
• Basic industry knowledge and technology trends.
• Basic knowledge of company quality program.
• Basic ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Learning on the Fly • Problem Solving • Perseverance • Patience • Time Management • Drive for Results • Self Development • Customer Focus • Listening • Informing