OPS/ISP Design Engineering Specialist 1
Date published: 15-Feb-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENS
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Black & Veatch has an opening for a OSP/ISP Design Engineering Specialist 1 /Field Engineering Specialist 1. Position is contract to hire with potential to convert to permanent. Will spend first 4 months or so in an OSP/ISP Field position before transitioning into a Design position. Functions in an engineering or technical specialist capacity under close supervision. Performs routine aspects of engineering assignments requiring knowledge and application of basic Outside Plant (OSP) engineering principles. Applies knowledge of engineering principles to prescribed techniques and procedures to complete project assignments.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
OSP/ISP Field Engineering Tech:
• During the first 4 months or so the professional will start as a OSP/ISP Field Engineering Specialist then transition into a Design position for a fiber project.
• During the time as a OSP/ISP Field Engineering Specialist will be working primarily in the field, to gather data for engineering and design of aerial, underground, and buried fiber optic facilities.
• This job is based in our Chesterfield, MO office and entails field work around suburban St. Louis Metro Area and occasionally other metro areas to take pictures, measurements, document existing facilities, and obtain design information in preparation for OSP network design.
OSP/ISP Design Engineering Specialist 1 (after Field role):
Plan Review/Production-Site Solutions 70%
Budget Management is 10%
Site Walks is 20%
Telecommunications Professional and must be capable of engineering routine and specific outside plant work orders; both distribution and feeder.
Ideal candidates will be experienced in OSP design of copper and fiber optic facilities, in aerial, underground, and buried applications.
Technical knowledge and understanding of right of way and easements.
General understanding of aerial construction, including span lengths, pole loading, anchoring, guying, and attachment heights; as well as familiarity with joint use regulations are all an added plus.
An Engineering Specialist's primary responsibility is to work collaboratively with the Engineering Manager and the design/engineering team on the production of high quality deliverables on telecommunications projects, in accordance with engineering practices and Telecom Business Unit policies.
Additionally, the Engineering Specialist will:
1.Help lead the delivery of our work products and services to our Client’s satisfaction.
2.Work closely with the Engineering Manager, Site Acquisition personnel, and Construction Managers in delivering projects that meet budget, scope, schedule, and quality goals.
3.Develop good working relationships and communications with the Engineering Manager, Site Acquisition personnel, Construction Managers, Client representatives, and local jurisdictions.
Responsibilities identified herein define the minimum expectations for the position of Engineering Specialist:
•Keep the Engineering Manager advised of the progress of the work and any developments involving change in the scope of the contract work or otherwise which could affect the contract requirements and fee and/or Client relationships.
•Review the Client’s comments and success parameters and verify that the Client’s concerns are addressed. Check for impact on schedules, budget, and construction cost, and advise the staff of any needed changes.
•Attend Jurisdiction review meetings as required.
•Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones, and provide regular update of such to the project team.
•Consult with and advise the Engineering Manager regarding any questions raised in connection with the work.
•Maintain liaison with the Kansas City Production team, local data acquisition teams, and operations and communicate lessons learned to the Engineering Manager and the project team.
•Support the Engineering Manager and market personnel in maintaining contact with the Client to monitor experience with project, Client’s satisfaction, and suggestions.
Records & Project Close-out
•Maintain project records and files, in Documentum and SharePoint.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
• Internship and/or 6+ months experience in a Design or Field role is nice to have.
• Individual must be available to mobilize when scheduled and possess a valid driver’s license with a clean motor vehicle report. (Field)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc…)
• Ability to work outside in varying weather conditions (Field)
• Must be able to stand, bend, squat, walk, move, lift, carry… equipment (>20lb) for the duration of the work day (Field)
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies: • Learning on the Fly • Problem Solving • Intellectual Horsepower • Written Communications • Drive For Results • Decision Quality • Informing • Listening • Dealing with Ambiguity
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Basic knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
• Basic industry knowledge and technology trends
• Basic knowledge of company quality program
• Basic knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles