Northern California Planning Practice Leader - Water Business
Date published: 9-Aug-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
As an employee-owned, global leader in building critical infrastructure in the water, energy, telecommunications and government services markets, Black & Veatch has a long-standing reputation for providing world-class service to our clients. We remain one of the largest employee owned water consulting firms globally. Our Water business focuses on all aspects of water, wastewater, recycled water, and storm water systems. Recognizing the importance of planning services, Black & Veatch long ago established a dedicated planning team to focus solely on planning services in the Americas Region (United States and Canada). Our planning team operates as one integrated group. This strong one-team culture has led to consistent growth. We have a track record of delivering solutions that produce lasting value for our Clients. Our Planning Department’s focus is to develop a best-in-class planning practice and to expand our service offering throughout the Americas through strong local planning leaders and an energetic local crew of planning professionals. We are a people business and it will take great leaders to fulfill our vision.
Black & Veatch has an exciting opportunity for a leader to grow a best-in-class planning and water resource practice in Northern California and potentially grow that business throughout the arid West. As part of our National Planning and Asset Management Team, this leadership position will be responsible for building a local planning team that utilizes your vision for the practice and the strength and capabilities of our national practice and world-class team. While the role will initially focus on growing the Northern California practice, the leader will also serve as a member of our senior leadership team and influence our global business strategies. As the local practice gets established, the position offers extensive opportunities to grow the role locally, regionally, and nationally (through expanded service offerings and developing business line capability in other markets). The position will be supported by our national planning team – a group focused on delivering value to our clients through high technical standards of work and a complete commitment to a one-team culture.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Northern California Planning and Water Resource Leader responsible for developing a local best-in-class planning team.
• Leads growth and business strategy for the local planning market, with the potential to expand beyond local northern California market area to the entire State and throughout the West
• Has relationships with key clients, decision makers, regulators, stakeholders and Agency staff and converts these relationships into new opportunities that grow and foster a sustainable Northern California Planning and Water Recourse business.
• Understands local planning needs and trends and aligns services to meet these needs.
• Works with local Client Directors and Project Managers to set strategy and identify, pre-position, develop proposals, and lead interviews.
• Aids in the creation of opportunities for follow-on services beyond planning phase components where the full capabilities of B&V can be brought to bear. These capabilities include design, construction, program management, data analytics, energy, telecom, and other holistic solutions.
• Works with Business Line Leaders to win work, build the local team through strategic recruiting and hiring, and expands our global capabilities.
• Works with Planning and Asset Management Business Line Leaders to win work, build the local team, and build technical capability.
• Leverages Black & Veatch’s industry leading business line expertise in dams, tunnels, and hydro facilities to create a competitive advantage for planning work, and creates complimentary opportunities for building those practices.
• Supports growing NEPA/CEQA regulatory related planning/support capabilities.
• Works with the asset management team leaders to expand integrated service offerings to benefit sales and execution of planning work.
• Serves as a Project Manager, Engineering Manager or Planning Leader on strategic planning projects.
• Supports oversight on local planning projects to make sure budget and schedule metrics are achieved.
• Responsible for setting hiring priorities, identifying candidates, and development of local planning staff. The position will include direct reports.
• Supervises technical staff for yearly performance. Mentors staff on longer-term career growth.
• Performs technical work on strategic projects and oversees technical on local planning efforts.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 15 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• 20+ years of Client development and project execution experience with proven ability in planning phase work
• California Professional Engineering registration
• Experience in a client-facing/business development role
• Recognized Planning Leader in the market with knowledge of regional drivers, client needs, and other market influencers
• Experience leading project teams and executing planning projects