Piping Engineer 4
Date published: 9-Jun-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role. With minimal supervision, applies advanced engineering techniques and analyses for problems and methods. Expands knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May start to expand knowledge in other disciplines and/or functional areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Piping engineers work on multiple Oil & Gas and Power projects, including the following:
• Finalize material of construction and develop project piping classes for process and utility services by use of Bentley specification generation tools following departmental design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and company policies and procedures
• Write specifications including, but not limited to, pipe fabrication, insulation, valves, pipe supports, shop and field testing, steam tracing or jacketing and cleaning; liaise with departments or sections including Piping Design, Process, Instrumentation, Equipment, Structural, Site Development, Fire Protection, HVAC, Material Applications, and Procurement and Construction
• Review required project documentation (specifications, calculation packages, requisitions, drawings, etc.)
• Maintain electronic database of pipe classes to provide support for 3D modeling while consistently and independently applying knowledge and complying with company quality program
• Utilize AutoPIPE or Caesar II stress analysis software to qualify pipe stress, support loads and nozzle loads, and perform detailed engineering design of pipe supports and hangers
• Perform related calculations to support pipe material selections and class development, including pipe wall thickness calculation, code pipe reinforcement calculation, insulation thickness calculation, etc.
• Provide construction technical support to site engineers; actively coordinate with project system or process engineers and mechanical designers for engineering production
• Effectively communicate with project design engineer, procurement engineers and other members to meet the project requirements of schedule, budget, engineering deliverables, etc.
• Share knowledge with and provide guidance and direction to others from the same project and discipline.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 5 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Previous experience related to piping engineering on Power and/or Oil & Gas projects
• Professional licensure (PE) strongly preferred
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
• Natural drive for results