Principal Consultant, Rates and Regulatory
Date published: 11-Jan-2019
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Management Consulting
Business Plan: CST
The Principal Consultant, Rates & Regulatory Services will plan, market, sell, and deliver world-class consulting solutions in the Energy sector with a holistic, multi-disciplinary approach that integrates strategic, financial and expertise-based advisory services to private and investor-owned utility companies, municipalities, and government agencies. The Rates & Regulatory service area provides highly desired services in these market segments including: utility rate case management and support, regulatory strategy and reform development, infrastructure-based business case and cost/benefit analysis, utility costing and ratemaking, and expert testimony and litigation support across all sectors of the electric, natural gas, and oil/liquid products pipeline markets. Individuals may lead medium to large size efforts or project teams, should be capable of delegating work assignments through various phases of an engagement. Principal consultants may manage projects from prospect to client deliverable.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The Principal Consultant, Rates & Regulatory Services will have a strong desire to share in this group’s business vision – which is to be recognized as industry-leaders by providing its clients with the concepts and insights, analytical techniques, implementation capabilities, and thought leadership to understand, address, and operate within the energy industry’s regulatory environment. This vision emanates from the deep utility regulatory, financial, and operational experience and capabilities of its professional staff. These same strengths have enabled members of the Rates & Regulatory service area to develop long-term project and business advisory relationships with a wide range of investor-owned utilities, public power and public gas entities, interstate natural gas pipeline companies and other energy market participants with whom they directly interact (e.g., energy marketers, financial institutions, and energy developers).
Specifically, the Principal Consultant must thoroughly understand the technological, market and commercial changes driving the current utility industry transformation requiring a proper regulatory construct for effective implementation. It is expected that this broad market understanding will enable the candidate to closely interact with members of Black & Veatch Management Consulting’s asset management, planning, distribution modernization and customer experience and technology practices to support the selling and delivery of multi-functional business solutions. The ideal candidate will develop and deliver client solutions in electric ratemaking and related regulatory matters, with a focus on regulatory reform approaches, innovative ratemaking solutions, Performance-Based Regulation (PBR) and dynamic pricing for electric utilities. The individual must be responsible for all aspects of assigned engagements, and will be integrally involved in the process to acquire new clients and engagements. The individual will also direct the development of processes and techniques that improve the operation of the firm and develop marketable service offerings, and will provide input on the strategic plan for the business.
In this role, one must be able to develop their practice by creatively engaging utility clients and delivering solutions to satisfy their needs. Specifically, they should be able to manage and develop associates, assist in conducting quality assurance reviews on their own and others' work, currently be an active participant in industry groups, and deliver expanding or evolving solutions to meet client needs.
Location: Virtual/Remote with the ability to travel up to 80%.
• Bachelor Degree
• 15 years of management consulting experience that includes:
• Knowledge of utility rate proceedings and regulatory policy;
• Serving as an expert witness on electric ratemaking and regulatory matters before state and federal regulatory bodies;
• Hands-on experience with the design and implementation of innovative tariffs for electric utilities, including: time-of-use rates, Critical Peak Pricing, real-time pricing and other dynamic pricing concepts, pricing for Distribution Energy Resources (DER) and the interaction between dynamic pricing and demand response (through Smart Grid/AMI investments) and energy efficiency programs; and,
• Demonstrated technical expertise in the costing and pricing of electric utility services showing the ability to identify, analyze, and solve complex ratemaking and regulatory problems within the client's business environment.
• All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Master’s Degree
• 4 years Business Development experience.
• Advanced project management skills.