Resident Construction Inspector 2 - Water
Date published: 13-Jul-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: CNS
Serves as a construction inspector who may report to senior inspection staff on a moderately complex medium or a large construction project; civil works, underground pipelines, pumping stations, and plants. Duties may include project controls administration. May provide direction to other inspection staff.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Anticipates daily and upcoming construction activities, and prepares accordingly; may give direction to other inspection staff
• Provides drawing and specification interpretations with little direction
• Reviews and analyzes contractor’s project schedule with direction
• With limited direction, interprets contract documents for QA/QC
• May assist with limited direction in evaluating change requests, claims, and cost proposals from contractor; coordinates responses with the project manager; and prepares change orders. Monitors and reports on pertinent site conditions when contractor indicates unforeseen subsurface or other changed conditions.
• Assists with logs and tracks all issues, proposed changes, change orders, and claims.
• Performs administrative duties related to project controls in the absence of admin staff
• Inspects complicated construction activities with little or no direction
• Documents field observations
• Resolves minor construction issues in the field with contractor foreman
• Observes B&V’s safety policies
• Can process contractor pay application, respond to simple RFIs, and coordinate complex interpretations with engineer
• May begin to provide direction to other field staff
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Associate's degree in a construction-related discipline or craft apprenticeship preferred.
5+ years related field experience preferred.
Certifications for concrete, compaction and civil tests preferred.
Preferred Competencies: • Strong attention to detail • Basic knowledge of plans and specifications • Basic knowledgeable of project controls and effect on time, cost, quality and communication • Intermediate communications skills, both written and oral • Basic understanding of heavy construction principles • Basic problem solving skills • Basic knowledge of heavy-construction materials and equipment • Basic knowledge of heavy-construction means and methods • Basic ability to read contract drawings and knowledge of specifications • Basic problem identification and resolution skills • Knowledge of project control system
• Basic understanding of administrative & project policies and procedures
• Intermediate skills in construction QA/QC and coordinating with design staff
• Basic knowledge of National and International Building Codes (IBC) and standards • Basic supervisory skills