Resident Construction Inspector 4
Date published: 11-Apr-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: CNS
Chief or Specialty Inspector who may serve as sole Resident Inspector on medium-sized civil projects in conjunction with support staff or as a lead construction inspection resource, typically assigned to more complex and larger projects including; medium new plants or facilities, upgrades or expansions that include new technologies; large-diameter pipe projects in difficult terrain or deep bury in conjunction with plant or facility construction; and/or small dam or tunnel projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Reviews schedule updates with regard to general construction logic, potential conflicts, and activities or deliveries falling behind schedule. Evaluates contractor proposals of remedial actions to correct schedule problems. Monitors and reports on progress of work but seeks assistance from B&V professional schedulers on unusual or difficult issues.
• Provides technical interpretation of construction drawings and specification requirements in conjunction with the project or resident engineer. Leads or assists the resident engineer in the interpretation/clarification process during construction, coordinates responses with project or resident engineer and engineering disciplines, and writes responses for project controls assistant.
• Oversees the review, tracking, and distribution of contractor submittals from site, including coordinating with appropriate design disciplines for technical reviews; alerts contractor when necessary submittals are not received ahead of related construction. Interprets contract documents for QA/QC.
• Leads in evaluating change requests, claims, and cost proposals from contractor, coordinates responses with the project manager, and prepares change orders.
• Monitors and reports on pertinent site conditions when contractor indicates unforeseen subsurface or other changed conditions. Assists with logs and tracks all issues, proposed changes, change orders, and claims.
• Manages the administration of project documentation, records, and reporting onsite.
• Assures that contractor’s as-built records are monitored for accuracy and completeness, collected at end of the project, and forwarded to project engineer.
• Supervises and performs inspections as appropriate; schedules and witnesses field testing performed by others, including testing firms and field acceptance testing. Develops project construction punch lists for substantial and final completion. Coordinates and monitors quality assurance for all aspects and disciplines onsite for the project.
• Documents field observations.
• Serves as onsite liaison to owner and contractor.
• Adheres to safety, quality, and ethical standards in accordance with Division policies, standards, guides, and contractual commitments; and supervises staff compliance.
• Anticipates potential construction issues, such as dimensional or applicability conflicts, and works proactively with all parties to expedite solutions and mitigate any negative impacts to the project. Reviews, resolves inaccuracies with contractor, and recommends contractor’s payment requests to owner.
• Assists with coordination of equipment startup operations and operator training, and may manage these activities when required. Coordinates with project engineer or startup specialists for process startups. Responsible for leading the team of inspectors. May supervise other field staff.
• Conducts pre-construction, weekly, monthly and special construction meetings, prepares and distributes meeting minutes.
10+ years field experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Associate's degree in a construction-related discipline or craft apprenticeship preferred. Certifications for concrete, compaction and civil tests preferred. Inspection certification preferred. Preferred Competencies: • Strong attention to detail • Intermediate knowledge of plans and specifications • Intermediate knowledgeable of project controls and effect on time, cost, quality and communication • Intermediate communications skills, both written and oral • Intermediate understanding of heavy construction principles • Intermediate problem solving • Intermediate knowledge of heavy construction materials and equipment • Intermediate knowledge of heavy-construction means and methods • Intermediate ability to read contract drawings and knowledge of specifications • Intermediate problem identification and resolution skills • Intermediate knowledge of project control systems • Leadership skills • Intermediate understanding of administrative & project policies and procedures • Advanced skills in construction QA/QC and coordinating with design staff • Intermediate skills in project controls, leadership and communications • International Building Code (IBC) specialty inspections knowledge • Knowledge of code requirements