Design Engineer- Water Business Line
Date published: 30-Sep-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch is seeking an experienced Design Engineer to join a well-established water/wastewater team in our Columbia office. The Design Engineer will be responsible for civil discipline design, construction, and administration for municipal water and wastewater treatment facility projects. The Design Engineer will assist senior staff with the management of scope, budget and schedule and develop strong relationships with clients and contractors. This role will offer a wide variety of individual project assignments to develop technical knowledge and leadership skills. Some assignments may require occasional travel to other Black & Veatch offices
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare detailed engineering reports, studies, and supporting documents.
• Prepare project drawings, specifications, and opinions of cost.
• Perform moderately complex detailed design engineering calculations.
• Apply standard design principles and concepts and ensure all design products are in compliance with applicable engineering codes and Black & Veatch policies and procedures.
• Coordinate with multi-discipline teams and work together to evaluate alternatives and resolve technical issues.
• Lead the design of project components to achieve project delivery in a timely manner with a focus on quality while exceeding client expectations.
• Provide creativity and ideas for marketing and pursuit opportunities.
• Regular client interaction and business development
• Frequent local travel to client sites, and occasional travel to Headquarters for continuous training, as needed
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 3 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering
• A minimum of 3 years professional experience managing and leading a multi-disciplinary team to deliver water and wastewater facility design projects
• Previous consulting experience
• Proficiency with computer software, including MS Office Suite and Project Software, Bluebeam, Civil 3D and MicroStation
• Experience preparing proposals, producing design drawings, preparing technical specifications, and providing construction phase services
When you join Black & Veatch as a full-time professional, we offer a broad package of healthcare options, including medical, dental, global and business travel. We offer generous vacation time and paid holiday.
On the financial side, Black & Veatch is an employee-owned company. This means our professional can acquire shares of company stock via company-matched 401k plan and through the annual discretionary retirement contribution program