Senior Civil Engineer
United Kingdom-North West, United Kingdom-South East, United Kingdom-South West
Date published: 12-Jan-2019
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch is recruiting a near- or recently-Chartered Civil Engineer to join their Water Services team based in Chester, Redhill, Exeter or Bradford-on-Avon. The team consults, delivers and manages Critical Human Infrastructure projects in the Water and Flood Risk Management sector. The candidate for this role should have an aspiration to follow a technical career, and have experience in the appraisal and design of civil infrastructure schemes. Successful applicants will be based in our office in the beautiful historic City of Chester, and projects will predominantly be across the north of England and Wales but may extend nationwide. The ability to travel to Client offices and project sites is essential.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Deliver packages of work within budget and to programme to meet the Client’s requirements
• Understand project scope and identify contractual change
• Understand the customer’s basic and performance needs
• Undertake feasibility assessments, optioneering, outline and detailed design
• Balance the priorities of multiple projects
• Assess the technical risk of projects
• Provide clear and concise deliverables appropriate for the intended audience
• Cooperate with the Engineering Manager, Project Manager and Regional Delivery Director.
Full time & Part time will be considered for this role.
The role is suitable for a near- or recently-Chartered Civil Engineer (preferably through the ICE, though CIWEM would be considered) who is looking for fresh impetus and experience to achieve their professional qualification, or wanting a fresh challenge following their recent qualification. You should possess and be able to demonstrate the following qualifications, skills and knowledge:
• Degree in Civil Engineering or Water & Environmental Management
• Good grades at A-Levels in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) subjects and/or Geography
• Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of internal professionals, and third party asset owners, stakeholders, technical officers and contractors
• Motivated to work on flood and coastal risk management and water projects, experience is preferable
• Experience of working on projects at appraisal, outline design, detailed design and constructions stages is preferable
• Experience of producing flood risk assessments would be advantageous
• Understand the importance of budget and programme control
• Ability to work under time pressure and balance multiple priorities
• Ability to design, plan and organise tasks
• Collaborative individual that helps to build strong effective teams
• Ability to liaise with internal and external clients to develop relationships across the business
• Ability to effectively present technical solutions to a wide range of audiences in a variety of means
• Proactive and methodical approach to problem solving as an individual and as part of a team with a desire to find a solution
• Excellent attention to detail
• A high level of computer literacy – knowledge and ability to use AutoCad and GIS would be advantageous
• Be driven to develop and improve your technical skills and advance your career.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications: