Senior Site Construction Manager
Date published: 30-Jun-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: CNS
Black and Veatch is seeking a dynamic, driven and experienced project/site construction manager for upcoming reservoir and water plant projects. The preferred candidate will lead and deliver world class construction project performance on Black & Veatch blue chip projects in the Americas.
Responsible for successful execution of the construction on Water Projects. Provides leadership to the project staff and all organizations on site. Directs staff in the daily/weekly planning process. Functions as a representative for Black & Veatch in all interactions involving the Owner and Contract. Implements Black & Veatch standards, processes and procedures, develops project specific procedures and allocates resources, and makes decisions in support of project strategies.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages and coordinates all on-site activities for compliance with the CPM schedule and monitors and enforces compliance with contract requirements; Implements the Project Construction Execution Plan. • Communicate effectively in written/oral form project progress, budget status, issues and resolutions to all parties engaged in the work
• Supervises and mentors all CM staff; monitors their activities and provides leadership.
• Monitors and reports on construction productivity and schedule performance (including trends) to the ProjectManager and Field Project Controls Manager and/ or directly to the client. Takes actions necessary to meet project budget and schedule requirements.
• Directs the establishment and implementation of schedule recovery plans as required.
• Coordinates the Construction Completion Walkdowns and the complete hand over of start-up packages to the Startup Manager and supervises the close out of all punch list items.
• Assists Project Manager with client interface and relations.
• Coordinates acceptance of all procured materials for compliance with contract. Leads monthly (or more freaquent) coordination meeting with project team.
• Coordinates Reporting of weekly schedule and commodity installation status to the Field Project Controls Manager.
• Monitors all extra work authorization requests, backcharges, and supplier andcontractor progress/final payment requests for acceptance and is responsible for subordinates providing the timely tracking information to Project Controls to support the change management system.
• Adheres to Safety, Quality, Ethical Standards, Lessons Learned, and Performance Management programs in accordance with Division Policies, Standards, Guides, and Contractual commitments.
• Directly responsible for the CM Team labor charges and costs on projects.
• Has full knowledge of the safety program and acts as the Safety Representative on site in the absence of the regular Safety Supervisor.
• Has general knowledge of all disciplines of construction and is able to stand in for each lead discipline.
• Resolves safety and quality issues with the safety and quality managers. Further disputes are then deferred to the Project Field Manager.
• Has the ability to stand in for the Project Manager in his absence.
• Understands the major commercial and deliverable terms of the construction contracts
• Monitors and controls overtime by his subordinates and subcontractors.
• Writes the construction portion of the client and construction monthly report.
• Coordinates with the Field Engineers or home office engineers on engineering deliverables
• Identifies and assesses improvement opportunities which will add value. Champions continuous improvement efforts. Assesses and supports the change management effects associated with the implementation of improvements. Proactively supports, encourages and facilitates staff to engage in continuous improvement activities.
Bachelor’s degree in construction, engineering or heavy industrial experience preferred, or 3+ years of experience at the superintendent level. 10+ years with a degree or 20+ years construction experience without degree with 2 of those years at equivalent construction manager 1 level. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
15+ years experience in Water/ Wastewater Facilities or Heavy Civil Water supply projects, with at least 5 in responsible charge as a Construction Manager.
Knowledge of project budget process and tools
Knowledge of Project controls
Construction Project Management Systems
Conceptual planning ability
Conflict management skills
Leadership ability (team building, coaching, mentoring, change management, advising)