Senior Solar PV Performance Engineer/Consultant
Date published: 10-Jan-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
With hundreds of experienced staff, 40 years of experience, and over a thousand completed projects, Black & Veatch is a leader in the renewable energy industry. From planning and consulting through engineering and construction, we offer solutions for all major renewable energy technologies including solar photovoltaic (PV), wind, biomass, hydro, marine energy, solar thermal, and geothermal. <br><br>Black & Veatch has been actively engaged in the solar industry for decades, including involvement in nearly half of the utility-scale PV plants currently operating in North America (on a MW basis). We are owner’s engineer for some of the largest solar projects in the world, and we have provided construction monitoring services on over 4,500 MW of solar PV facilities.
Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role. Under general direction, develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to complex engineering problems. May provide technical guidance over a group or supervise engineering staff on projects of low to medium complexity. May be responsible for developing, validating, and presenting specialist/technical output.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
This position may involve a wide variety of diverse assignments, including:
• Provide technical leadership and oversight for performance consulting for independent engineering (due diligence) work with financial clients on transactions regularly exceeding $100 million.
• Lead and contribute to projects for solar resource assessments, energy production estimates, performance assessments of operating projects, siting, performance testing, feasibility studies, new technology evaluation, component modeling, conceptual design, and strategic planning.
• Develop detailed performance test protocols and analyze actual plant performance against these protocols.
• Provide expert consultation on solar PV plant components such as modules, inverters, meteorological stations, and trackers.
• Assist with solar PV design optimization for cost reduction and performance improvement, including for engineer-procure-construct (EPC) projects.
• Contribute to business development with key clients including identification of key drivers, scoping, proposal development, and relationship management.
• Management of junior staff including supervision, career development, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required.
• The position will also include exposure to other renewable technologies: biomass, wind, geothermal, hydro, etc.
A key aspect of the position will be to advance knowledge sharing, innovation and technology within the group as follows:
• Serve as a technical specialist with relevant knowledge and skills to provide expert consultation and guidance to project teams.
• Actively foster knowledge management and provide mentoring to others.
• Review and guide the work of junior staff.
• Lead development initiatives to innovate new services and products, improve processes, evaluate new technologies and advance marketing initiatives.
• Identify, manage, and grow new business offerings.
• Represent Black & Veatch through speaking engagements and participation in industry meetings.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 8 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
•Demonstrated Solar PV performance experience strongly preferred.
•Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly through formal reports, presentations, teleconferences, memoranda and email.
•Must be able to function equally well in collaborative, multi-discipline teams, and self-directed independent assignments.
•Must be self-motivated, with an ability to balance multiple projects while working under tight deadlines.
•Must be able to function well as a technical trainer.
•A working understanding of energy project finance.
•Experience with Microsoft Excel including VBA.
•PE preferred or willing to obtain.
Desired Skill: Microsoft Office suite, especially Word and Excel. Ability to develop Visual Basic macros preferred. Demonstrated experience in performing solar resource assessments and energy production modeling using PVsyst and System Advisor Model (SAM). Specialty computer skills including GIS, database design, scheduling, Monte Carlo analysis preferred, but not required. Strong writing and presentation skills.