Date published: 4-Nov-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENT
The BIM Manager will facilitate the successful implementation of Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Virtual Design & Construction (VDC) technologies, standard methods and procedures. Champion BIM processes program-wide while providing support to Design, and Construction groups and client asset maintenance and operations. The BIM/Information Manager will work closely with all stakeholders to support Program execution excellence in a collaborative environment through the use of innovative technology, the application of recognized ISO/BS/SS standards and the adoption of agreed standard methods and procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The role has three principal components:
• Managing the Common Data Environment (CDE)
• Project information management to ensure accuracy and integrity
• Collaborative working, information exchange and project team management
• Establishing a common data environment, along with its processes, procedures and security and ensuring its integrity.
• Establishing the information structure and standards for the information model, agreeing output formats and validating compliance.
• Establishing responsibilities for the provision of information and its level of detail for each project component and stage.
• Enabling integration of information by all project stakeholders and co-ordination of information.
• Assisting the project team to establish information exchange processes and management procedures such as record keeping and change control procedures.
• Report to management and project leadership on program’s current and projected state with respect to BIM
• Facilitate the relationship between all design, management, construction and commissioning entities to develop tools and processes which benefit the program/project delivery and hand-over
• Drive standards, processes and procedures
• Demonstrate and communicate VDC / BIM benefits to external and internal clients and stakeholders
• Identify and champion training, mentoring and knowledge sharing activities; including development of training material, presentations, and multimedia formats
• Coordinates with all stakeholders on requirements and schedules for the budgeting, procurement, and roll-out of new and updated VDC / BIM applications as the program matures
• Test and benchmark hardware and software configurations, monitor usage and versioning, and make appropriate recommendations for improvements, upgrades and purchases
• Work with stakeholders to develop, disseminate and implement program-wide standards for VDC / BIM technologies and processes
• Develop and document standard practices to improve construction efficiency through the use of technology
• Coordinate VDC / BIM efforts across Joint Venture team to support a cohesive approach and consistent deliverables
• Research innovative ways to utilize VDC / BIM processes to create a unique project experience both internally and externally
• Provide guidance and oversight of all BIM related professionals associated with program/project
• Manage project information from various sources; both schematic and spatial applications
• Champion effective change management processes leveraging VDC / BIM
• Promote client’s larger BIM vision including interfacing with various Asset Management systems and processes
• Provide guidance and support for designers and contractors on the program’s BIM policy
• Facilitate the use of 3D, 4D, 5D & 6D processes to support construction planning, logistics, estimating, commissioning, coordination and handover
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• 10+ years of experience in VDC / BIM, 3D modeling, construction technology, or related field
• Experience in these applications on similar large scale infrastructure projects.
• Superior knowledge of VDC / BIM processes and technologies with an understanding of the direction of building information modeling and its impact on the AEC industry
• Experience with project extranets and virtual collaboration technologies
• In-depth expertise of current VDC / BIM related systems and network infrastructure
• Knowledge of VDC / BIM as it applies to construction work packaging, construction planning & sequencing
• Understanding of project workflows (schematic design, design development, construction documentation phases) and basic project management
• Understanding of construction management and commissioning aspects
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, clearly and effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
• Strong, self-motivated work ethic; must uphold JV values and demand the highest standard of conduct from self and others.
• Commissioning of works documentation retention and use
• Asset Management knowledge
• Management and/or project management experience
• Superior knowledge of MicroStation, AECOsim, AutoCAD, Revit, Civil 3D, Navisworks, Plant 3D and other design technologies with direct experience using prior and current versions
• Cloud/Enterprise Document Management application support and process development experience (Such as Newforma, Projectwise, PrimaVera Project Planned, ACCONEX, Vault, Box, OneDrive, etc., PMIS)
• Bachelor’s degree / Diploma from an accredited college or university majoring in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management preferred
• Experience participating on multi-discipline project work-teams
• Ability to work independently and effectively within the team environment to encourage creativity, innovation, and continuous improvement
• Self-directed and self-motivated to solve problems quickly and creatively