Systems Engineering Department Manager - Water Business
Date published: 5-Jul-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Functions as a technology leader, department manager or administrative leader, in a role that implements engineering strategy. May have influence in developing strategy. Has significant influence for scope of responsibilities within division. Responsible for execution of assigned projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Engineering Standards Influencer
• Proactively provides guidance and direction. Interpreting, applying and providing direction to larger assigned tasks. Typically has ownership in maintaining and updating, developing engineering standards. Provide technical guidance to others regarding projects or disciplines.
• Establishes related processes, and promotes a culture that is conducive to quality. Supports and may lead continuous improvement, change management and risk management efforts.
• Accountable for managing engineering design-related aspects of highly complex project(s) or small multiple projects, including engineering schedule and budget performance, quality of engineering solutions and deliverables, and coordination of design, procurement, and construction. Orchestrates all technical aspects of highly complex projects and makes project engineering execution decisions within the bounds set by applicable policies, standards, guides and contract commitments. Establishes work plan to be applied to a given project.
• Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on highly complex projects. Responsible for coordinating project schedules for multiple disciplines.
• Responsible for determining identification of key client interests and drivers on projects. Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work on complex projects. May offer other services to the client. Typically provides support to business development or pursuit activities.
Serves as Systems Engineering Department Manager.
• Oversees performance management, career planning, recognition, learning and development, compensation management, succession planning, disciplinary actions and employee relations, and workforce planning.
• Strongly influences and implements resource management strategy. Manages engineering resources and applicable technical requirements for large and/or complex group. Common responsibilities include staffing, recruiting, budgets, tools and/or processes. Resolves resource conflicts and identifies training needs.
• Administrative responsibilities include overseeing department operations, workforce planning, budgets, IT, office administration, and facilities.
• Ensures policies, procedures, and processes are effectively developed, implemented, and communicated for workgroup. Ensures adherence to corporate and division programs. Oversees review of timesheets and expense reports.
• Influences impact on a division; division costs, productivity, or competitiveness.
• Has moderately large and moderately complex geographic responsibility.
• Scope involves moderately complex business line or technology responsibility and/or moderately complex discipline responsibility. Leads efforts to mitigate risks related to projects / technologies.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 15 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Current Black & Veatch experience highly preferred
• Strong technical knowledge of tools, processes, and procedures for commercial aspects for areas such as project controls, engineering, procurement, and drafting
• Strong industry and region/country knowledge
• Strong financial acumen, understanding of financials such as Project Gross Margin (PGM), revenue, overhead costs, and division/department income statements
• Strong knowledge of budgeting process and systems
• Knowledge of management techniques and administrative practices
• Strong knowledge of risk management and commercial issues
• Knowledge of Company programs, policies, processes, and organizational structure
• Intermediate knowledge of division administrative policies and procedures
• Intermediate knowledge of Human Resource programs, policies, and procedures
• Excellent client service skills; ability to develop and maintain key relationships; negotiation and influencing skills
• Presentation skills
• Strong strategic and business planning skills
• Strong problem solving skills (identify, analyze, research, evaluate, resolve)
• Conflict management skills
• Knowledge of change management methodologies
• Project management skills
• Leadership ability (team building, coaching, mentoring, change management, advising)