Graduate Civil Engineer
United Kingdom-South West
Date published: 6-Apr-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
We require a graduate civil engineer to assist our developing workload in the South West, based in Bradford on Avon. Our typical projects include anything from feasibility studies and project business cases through to detailed design for construction. Our commissions vary from small £5k studies, through to £500k detailed design projects. Clients include the Environment Agency, D&B contractors, ESD and water companies (and others).
Our projects are typically either short duration with concentrated activity, or long duration with light, ongoing activity. Therefore whilst you may have concentrated periods working on just one project you could also have inputs to five or more separate projects in a typical week.
We are specifically seeking a graduate engineer looking to develop their skills and grow through experience. Ideally you will be seeking chartership, but we don’t expect you to have signed of any/many objectives. We are therefore less concerned about your specific experience, but more about a positive attitude and open-minded approach and hunger to learn. We expect that over time you would be looking to take on new or additional responsibilities.
Our work is varied and fast-paced so we need to be prepared to get stuck in to lots of different project types and activities within them.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Undertaking designs – including calculations, sketches and drawings (working with CAD technician to develop outputs).
Completing project related reports including:
• Works information
• Basis of design/technical notes
• Health and safety files
• Pre-construction information
• QA documentation (project plans etc)
• BIM documentation
Attend site visits across region and around UK.
Live projects which you could be involved in include:
- Cashen Estuary Drainage Scheme (Ireland) – Appraisal and optioneering for drainage improvement of low lying estuarial land. Duties include reporting, sketching and developing solutions
- National Trust - Prior Park, Bath. Investigation of existing dam and providing advice to client on how to reduce leakage on historic (1850’s-ish) dam structure (may require re-construction)
- Support to reservoirs team (including a new Dam in West Lewis for ESD, and projects for Scottish Power) – likely to include design and reporting
- Wessex H&T, Environment Agency’s Wessex area (Bristol, Somerset, Wiltshire) – detailed design of modification to gauging stations for the Environment Agency (ultimate client) for Land and Water Services (our D&B client)
- Bridgwater Tidal Barrier, Appraisal (producing outline business case and planning application) assisting our client (CH2M) in an Environment Agency (end client) lead appraisal of scheme to construct tidal barrier in the river Parrett (Somerset).
Report Writing (well developed MS word skills), routine use of Excel for data analysis
Understanding of Health and Safety in Design including duties under CDM 2015.
Open to trying new ideas, happy to work on wide range of projects each with different focus.
Ability to work alone and in a team, reporting progress as needed. Ability to understand own limits and call for help at appropriate times.
Ability to work within B&V’s management system, using Projectwise and following procedures/processes.
Ability to operate outside of comfort zone.
Thinking through engineering problems and discussing potential solutions with senior engineers.
Comfortable using IT systems to collaborate, including using skype for phone conferences, screen sharing etc as our project teams are often spread across several offices.
Minimum Qualifications 2:1 Civil Engineering degree or similar
Full UK driving license (preferred)
Some experience within design/consultancy preferable
Preferred Job Qualifications: