Physical Security & Structural Engineer 7
Date published: 12-Jan-2019
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Govt Federal SE
Business Plan: ENG
The Black & Veatch Special Projects Corp. has its mission to provide a full range of services to our primary client base - U.S. Government agencies and departments. With the unique skill sets we have developed during the 100-plus years of service to our U.S. Government agencies client base, we are able to provide one-of-a-kind solutions to complex mission objectives that arise out of specific challenges faced by and unique to these agencies. Our primary areas of focus are: Architecture/Engineering (A/E) Services, Defense Program, Design/Build, Classified, and Environmental.
Functions as a technology and market leader in a role that implements strategy in the primary area of physical security including other structural critical skills. Will have influence in developing strategy. Has significant influence for scope of responsibilities within business unit. Responsible for execution of assigned projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Professional will provide Physical Security Analysis and Design & Structural Engineering work primarily for U.S. Federal Government facilities. The work will include:
• Able to communicate executive briefings and strategy to Federal officials and clients.
• Providing marketing, coordination, and interfacing with clients
• Threat Assessment
• Blast Resistant Analysis (Linear and Non-Linear) and Design
• Glass Hazard Mitigation
• Progressive Collapse Analysis and Design
• Bullet and Forced Entry Resistant Design
• Structural Retrofits and Hardening
The work may include:
• Knowledge transfer mentoring, and training to other structural engineers to strengthen their skills in physical security and threat assessment.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
General duties and responsibilities may include, however are not limited to:
• Promotes and supports a culture of Black & Veatch’s principles, behaviors, initiatives, and values; innovation; quality; and safety.
• Engineering Standards: Proactively provides guidance and direction. Interpreting, applying and providing direction to larger assigned tasks. Typically has ownership in maintaining and updating, developing engineering standards in the area of physical security. Provide technical guidance to others regarding projects or disciplines.
• Quality/Continuous Improvement: Establishes related processes, and promotes a culture that is conducive to quality. Supports continuous improvement, change management and risk management efforts .
• Engineering Production: Accountable for managing engineering design-related aspects of complex project(s) or small multiple projects, including engineering schedule and budget performance, quality of engineering solutions and deliverables, and coordination of design, procurement, and construction. Orchestrates all technical aspects of complex projects and makes project engineering execution decisions within the bounds set by applicable policies, standards, guides and contract commitments. Responsible for the following: leading production teams; coordinating multiple discipline activity; and serving as the responsible charge for projects. Establishes work plan to be applied to a given project.
• Project Coordination: Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on complex projects. Responsible for coordinating project schedules for multiple disciplines.
• Client Focus: Responsible for determining identification of key client interests and drivers on projects. Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work on complex projects. Works to identify future client needs and how to better position B&V for the future. Will offer other services to the client. Typically provides support to business development or pursuit activities.
• Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology: Serves as a technology leader and is recognized as a Company/industry expert within physical security. Will develop innovative solutions critical to company success. Has knowledge and skill sets to provide consultation and guidance to project teams in Physical Security and Structural Engineering. Typically supports multiple projects on the very complex technical challenges. Actively advances knowledge management of the enterprise and provides mentoring. As a subject matter expert, has additional expertise in Physical Security, participates in professional societies by presenting papers, participates on technical committees, and assists with code/standard authoring. Is externally recognized in industry as an expert which enhances the Company brand.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 15 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Engineering License (PE). Experience with:
• Physical Security Analysis and Design with a focus in Blast Resistant Design and Analysis.
• Knowledge with various blast analysis applications.
• 3D structural analysis applications,
• Linear and Non-Linear dynamic analysis
• Mission Critical Facilities
• High Seismic design
• Experience with USACE requirements, specifications, and design processes including UFC 3-310-04, UFC 3-340-01, UFC 3-340-02, UFC 4-023-03, and UFC 4-010-01.
• Work requires good communication skills, willing to serve on a multi-discipline project team, and willing to travel domestic and internationally.
• Master of Science degree and/or PhD (Doctorate of Philosophy) in an ABET-accredited program of Civil Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or Structural Engineering.
• Perform Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis
• USACE Protective Design Center Applications
• Finite Element Analysis (ANSYS and/or SAP2000xperience preferred)
• Advanced knowledge of REVIT Structural, AutoCad, RISA-3D, RISAFloor, RISAFoundation, RISAConnection, RISA REVIT Link, MathCad, SAP2000.
• Advance knowledge of structural dynamic analysis, ATFP (Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection), renovations, high seismic analysis/design, and mission critical facilities.
• Advance knowledge of construction and constructability practices and principles.
• Advance knowledge of other disciplines.
• Advance industry knowledge and technology trends.
• Security Clearance: TS SCI; Full Scope Polygraph
Non-Technical: Learning on the Fly, Problem Solving, Intellectual Horsepower, Written Communications, Drive For Results, and Decision Quality.