Date published: 15-Nov-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENG
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
With minimal supervision, support on-going telecommunication services for B&V’s client based on specific project needs. Build relationships within the client’s organization, provide technical guidance, survey substations as needed, update technical records, and participate in meetings. Position is full-time and permanent residence in or temporary relocation to Baton Rouge, LA is required. The duration of the position is anticipated for one year but is subject to annual contract renewal at the client’s or B&V’s discretion.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Accept overall accountability for all engineering deliverables of the project.
• Complete technical tasks such as: update design drawings, update network schematics, update electronic records using Access database.
• Review engineering work completed by junior staff.
• Enforce telecommunications design compliance with codes, standards and policies as set forth by the client, B&V or other industry governing entities.
• Coordinate with multiple departments and disciplines (project management, substation design, telecom engineering, local contractors, etc.), both internal to B&V and within the client’s organization.
• Attend meetings, provide updates within the client’s Southern service territory (Louisiana).
• Seek input from multiple technical disciplines to develop new scopes of work with level-of-effort (labor & material) estimates.
• Travel within the client’s Southern service territory to support the project as required. (Likely less than 20% of working time will require travel.)
• Adhere to safety programs set forth by B&V and the client.
This description outlines the major duties of this position. It does not include all aspects of the position such as the additional duties assigned by supervisors and the requirement for flexibility in helping other groups for the overall benefit of B&V and the client.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 3 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Behavioral traits: independent, self-accountable, prioritizing, comfortable with ambiguity, friendly.
• Knowledge of some combination and varying degree of the following telecommunications disciplines: radio (PTP or PTMP), optical transport, SONET networks, other TDM, and/or Ethernet/IP.
• B.S. in electrical engineering or equivalent years of experience and training.
• 2+ years experience in telecommunications engineering. Utility telecom experience is preferred.
• Other skills:
o Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
o Proficient with MS Excel, MS Word, MS Visio, Google Earth (preferred).
o Basic knowledge of MS Access (preferred).