Director of Insurance & Project Risk Management
Date published: 8-Jul-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Corporate-Legal
Business Plan: ADM
The Risk Management Team manages the company’s business insurance programs focused on protecting the company from various property, liability, employee, financial, and specialty risks for its global operations. The risk management team is responsible for the design, marketing, procurement, and administration of over 20 business insurance placements. The Director of Insurance and Project Risk Management will report to, and work collaboratively with, the Vice President of Risk Management & Dispute Resolution, who reports to the General Counsel.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• As a member of the global risk management team, the Director of Insurance and Project Risk Management is responsible for ensuring that company projects across the globe are protected by insurance required to meet contractual, legal, and regulatory requirements, as well as protecting the balance sheet of the company
• Serve as a subject matter expert and advise the company and project teams on a broad range of property and casualty insurance products utilized by similarly situated engineering and construction companies, including builder’s risk, ocean cargo, professional liability, general liability, auto, employers liability, cyber, and executive liability insurance
• Review insurance, indemnity and other risk allocation requirements in project, joint venture, and other contracts to assure contractual, legal, and regulatory compliance and to limit the corporation’s exposure to loss
• Manage the placement of multiple global property and casualty insurance policies and collaborate with the Vice President Risk Management for the placement of the global professional liability/integrated excess liability, Executive Liability, and specialty programs. Such work will include working with the insurance brokers to set the renewal objectives, negotiating terms, and managing the insurance program administration during the policy year
• Develop and maintain strong insurance broker and insurance underwriter relationships critical to the success of the global insurance program
• As needed, participate in Project Review Boards to explain insurance issues to company management during the proposal phase and for claims
• Educate fellow professionals about risk management fundamentals and insurance issues through the development and presentation of internal training modules
• Directly supervise, develop, and mentor a team of three senior insurance analysists and supervise and oversee an insurance advisor located in the United Kingdom
• Assist Finance team and Vice President Risk Management in determining fair and appropriate insurance premium allocations across different business line.
• Provide technical support for the legal and project teams in administering insurance claims
• Lead special projects as needed, including the development of an internal risk management web-based portal that stores and provides accessibility to critical insurance information to the risk management team and company professionals
• Gather and provide information related to insurance placements in support of annual audit.
• Oversee review and approval of insurance invoices and management of the subcontractor insurance certificate tracking program
• Effectively integrate new business office, legal entity, and project locations into insurance programs
• Stay current on other insurance products that may be of benefit to the company; monitor insurance markets to maintain program competitiveness.
• Provide support on risk management and insurance issues in coordination with the company’s Enterprise Risk Management program
• Performs other duties required to meet business demands
• Serve as a resource to the Vice President Risk Management & Dispute Resolution and General Counsel to achieve goals and objectives consistent with the organization’s strategic plan
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Experience: 10 or more years of corporate insurance/risk management experience; strong preference for substantial experience in the engineering and construction industry
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Additional post-graduate study preferred.
• Demonstrated expertise with large and complex commercial insurance programs
• Experience with placement of foreign multinational operations a plus
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively in a collaborative work environment with senior management, owner representatives, brokers, peers and subordinates
• Knowledge of legal issues around organization liability and insurance trends
• Understanding of the company’s industry, market, technology, business model, and metrics
• Understanding of company’s business operations
• Financial acumen necessary to understand key financial indicators and recognize profitability and revenue opportunities
• Global perspective of common business practices and impact on business
• Strong human relations skills, including ability to influence and negotiate
• Strong multi-tasking skills
• Strong long-term conceptual planning ability
• Strong project management skills
• Excellent leadership ability (team building, coaching, mentoring, change management, advising)
• Excellent problem solving skills (identify, analyze, research, evaluate, resolve)
• Strong conflict management and human relations skills
• Good supervisory skills