Engineering Technician 8 - Project Lead Designer - Piping- Oil & Gas
KS-Overland Park, TX-Houston
Date published: 14-Dec-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Oil/Gas
Business Plan: ENT
Functions in a supervisory capacity.
Manages production of mechanical piping drawing/ deliverables.
Well experienced in engineering design typically in a specific discipline as well as other disciplines associated with a project. Supervises an assigned staff of engineering technicians and support personnel by administering, coordinating, and overseeing the conceptual and detailed design activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Engineering Standards: Communicates and sets appropriate design and graphic standards. Reviews project requirements and accurately determine the correct format and contents of the required deliverables. Quality / Continuous Improvement: Promotes quality within project/group/section. Reviews design inputs in order to ensure consistency. Ensures deliverables are in compliance with the specific codes and standards in force for the project. May contribute to the continuous improvement of guides and standards. Participates in and leads process improvement activities and assignments. Demonstrates personal accuracy and drives continual improvement and change management efforts. Engineering Production: Applies basic engineering principles and established design practices in developing complex design concepts and deliverables. Continues to apply judgment, makes decisions with respect to the work and provides guidance to other professionals. Coordinates deliverable presentations, delegates’ production design, or other electronic applications. Monitors production to assure consistency, budget and schedule of deliverables. Establish the appropriate method for drawing control and historical records. May program control systems or participate in other plant start-up activities associated with a specialized area of expertise. May lead development activities relating to new/updated design applications or processes. Project Coordination: Coordinates with other design group personnel to review and exchange project information necessary for design development. May support field activities. Communicates project design requirements, progress and schedules. Client Focus: Responsible for determining identification of key client interests and drivers on projects. Communicate client interests and drivers to project team members and develop approaches to accommodate these concerns. Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology: May lead in the development and communication of appropriate design standards and process improvement activities. Identify training and development needs for personnel they supervise and participate in training efforts. Assigned special assignments depending on technical expertise. Assignments may involve solving a particular design problem or participating in a design team focused on completing an assigned project task. Makes presentations and conducts training classes within a specialized area of expertise. People Management - (supervision - career development - developing professionals, mentoring): May oversee functions including performance management process, career planning, learning and development, recognition, and corrective actions. Supervises engineering technicians, including mentoring, instructing, delegation of work and providing feedback. Resource Management - (staffing): Monitors staffing levels and available skill sets for project(s). Identifies resource application needs and process requirements. Administrative: May review timesheets, expense reports, involved in communicating the continual development of new hire recruitment, policy and procedure.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Associate Degree in Drafting or an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred. Bachelor Degree in an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred.
15 years of work experience in Piping Design (LNG Project experience). Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• EPC Project Execution
• Experience on coordination within Piping Team and Monitor the project progress
• Drive for Results
• Self Development
• Customer Focus
• Decision Quality
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Priority Setting
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Ability to use the appropriate electronic applications and programs required for performing assignments. Include but not limited to CADD, other electronic applications, information modeling and document storage systems.
• Advanced knowledge of engineering standards, systems, document control, departmental guides and B&V policies and procedures.
• Advanced industry knowledge and technology trends
• Advanced knowledge of company quality program
• Advanced ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
• Advanced knowledge of other disciplines
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Intermediate knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides related to assigned engineering discipline
• Intermediate knowledge of procurement & contract administration
• Intermediate knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Advanced knowledge of management techniques and company/division HR programs, policies, procedures, and organization structure
• Basic knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
• Expertise on preparation of Conceptual Plot Plans, Equipment Arrangement Layouts, Piping Study Layouts, Nozzle Orientations, Tower Piping Design.
• Expertise on layouts & Drawings reviews of Critical equipment; Compressors, Packages, Loading/Unloading Arms.
• Expertise on Pipe Support Design, Piping MTO`s, Piping Isometrics.
• 3D Tools Experience (Preferred: Bentley, PDS, SP3D)
• Experience in 3D Model Reviews with Client.
• Knowledge on Piping Interface with other Engineering Disciplines.
• Experience on Field Engineering Support to Construction Site.
• Basic financial acumen